Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Ok To Have A Built In Windows Firewall Turned On Along With

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sozo

sozo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

Or do I need to turn Windows firewall off? Thank you!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 06 July 2007 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

Turn off XP's firewall., It will cause conflicts. The same goes for anti-virus software, do not use 2 at once
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 06 July 2007 - 06:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

XP's built in firewall is a "one-way" unit, it will only assist in blocking INCOMING nasties and not OUTGOING ones. My experience with Sygate has been great, it's free, works, and you should have no issue with it so feel confident to turn off the XP firewall as garmanma advises.

to date ZoneAlarm is the only software i know of that successfully integrates the XP firewall into it's services, how effective this is i'm not sure. there may be others out there that do work the same way but the one you have selected will serve you well. Just pay close attention to any pop-ups it gives you regarding a program access request, make sure you recognise what sygate is trying to ask you. If you have any doubts then google the entry first before allowing a program to continue

good luck ;)
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

From Microsoft:
"Note You do not have to use Windows Firewall—you can install and run any firewall that you choose. Evaluate the features of other firewalls and then decide which firewall best meets your needs. If you choose to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall."
Microsoft
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Sprinks

Sprinks

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

I have another firewall protecting my computer but I can't figure out how to turn off the Windows XP firewall? That option is greyed out. Can you assist me with the steps to turn it off?

Thanks to all of you,
Sprinks

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:45 PM

A second Firewall will quite often turn Windows Firewall off automatically.

Check Start>Control Panel>Windows Firewall to see what the settings are, and turn it off if possible. If you don't have the options then your other firewall has probably disabled it. Go to Control Panel>Security Center to see the status of your firewall.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users