Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Third Monitor Prblems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hoppingspider

hoppingspider

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

I am trying to install a third monitor on my Win XP system. I currently have a NVidia GEfoce 7600 dual head graphics card (AGP) with two monitors working perfectly. I have an ATI Rage IIC card (PCI) that I installed. Problem is, nothing for this shows up in the display settings, and the screen is black. Under device manager, there is a problem with the hardware, it says device failed to start code 10. The driver is the latest driver, although it is an older card. The driver that comes with XP is newer than the one on ATI's site. Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

You can't run two different graphics cards at the same time. The only way is if your using SLI (Nividia) or Crossfire (ATI/AMD) . If you really want 3 screens You will need a card that supports 3 monitors like This. Unless technology or something new out there exist this is the only option.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hoppingspider

hoppingspider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

Actually, it's quite possible to run as many graphics cards as you have pci slots available. I have known people who have done this successfully. I just don't know if this is something that has to be specifically configured for or what. SLI or Crossfire is different. That is technology specifically for making two identical graphics cards pull their power together to wark as one. That has nothing to do with this application.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

This is a new one for me, I am looking forward to the solution :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

Here is M$ Code 10
If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Recommended resolution

Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

If the troubleshooting Wizard fails to solve this problem, You will need to check your bios to insure that video is set to AGP/PCI, but not onboard. This is normally in the advanced settings.

Also, check this Article
at Microsoft.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 hoppingspider

hoppingspider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:49 AM

Thank you very much. After I changed the setting in my BIOS, everything is working perfectly. Now I have 3 monitors in all their glory! :thumbsup:

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Great (I love multi monitor setups)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber