Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Error Stop:0x0000008e

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cville4800

cville4800

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

I have been slowly searching the web on my laptop and trying to diagnose this problem that i am having (blue screen stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, Ox804EEF98, 0xF44147DC, 0x00000000) with my home desktop computer (Compaq Presario 5300 US)...

I believe it all started after i attempted to install symantec antivirus, internet explorer 7, or windows xp service pack 2...all within a day or two

I am away at school most of the time but have to manage my home computer for my parents when i am home

The first symptom was the computer restarting by itself after loading windows

I then turned off the Automatic Restart function

Then upon restart the computer loaded windows and shut off to a blue screen displaying this message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804EEF98, 0xF43DC7DC, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Since then i started in safe mode and i have done the following:
1) attempted to restore to a previous date which didn't work and i later found out that cannot be done after installing windows xp service pack 2
2) ran ad-aware se several times, which was long overdue and turned up critical objects like the Alcan worm, a possible hijack attempt, VX2, etc.; this actually allowed me to open regedit as it wasn't working prior to this...although i didn't edit anything as i really didn't know what to edit
3) deleted numerous programs from the add/remove programs list, programs which i found online were actually unwanted
4) turned off system restore to delete anything that might be hidden in old restore points
5) uneducatedly attempted to disable a driver which i thought may have been the problem, this was unsuccessful and i re-enabled it
6) turned DEP to AlwaysOff as i thought that service pack 2 may have been the problem and this is a feature of service pack 2
7) adjusted advanced performance options - process scheduling adjusted for best perfomance of background services, memory usage adjusted for best performance of system cache, and page file size increased to 500 MB from 384 MB
8) removed symantec antivirus but the computer wouldn't allow it while in safe mode, so i deleted the SAVRT folder in Symantec as i have read that this has caused a conflict with service pack 2

Nevertheless, I still have the same problem with the blue screen and the stop error 0x0000008E
In addition I can't seem to connect to the internet even while in safe mode with networking (thus i am typing this from my laptop while sitting next to the desktop)
I also believe another symptom may be a problem with my CD-rom as it seems to just turn and turn without doing anything when a CD is inserted as i tried to insert a Application and Driver Recovery CD that came with my laptop

Finally after Google Searches seemingly always lead me here, I have decided to register and post

Help would be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hi cville, I think you are on the right path about the problem occuring after an install, it can be sometimes hard to track down but have a look at the link as it might be helpful
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930916/en-us
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:12 AM

Link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e

Unfortunately, any of the programs that you've mentioned could have caused this. OR, they could have corrupted drivers that could have caused this.

I'd suggest uninstalling the symantec, the IE7, and the SP2 (don't stay connected to the web tho' - you may get infected). Once that's done, run the system to see if the BSOD goes away.

If it does, then the most likely issue is with SP2. SP2 will Blue Screen if you're infected, or if your drivers aren't compatible. The test for this is multiple online scans for viruses and updating all of your drivers.

You can use these free, online scans (yes, you'll be risking infection without SP2 - but can't do much unless you're sure your system is clean):
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://safety.live.com/

Then, visit the HP website here to download the latest drivers for your system (based on the model info that you provided): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...174&lang=en Then install them on the system - then try installing SP2
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users