Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:31 PM
I have been slowly searching the web on my laptop and trying to diagnose this problem that i am having (blue screen stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, Ox804EEF98, 0xF44147DC, 0x00000000) with my home desktop computer (Compaq Presario 5300 US)...
I believe it all started after i attempted to install symantec antivirus, internet explorer 7, or windows xp service pack 2...all within a day or two
I am away at school most of the time but have to manage my home computer for my parents when i am home
The first symptom was the computer restarting by itself after loading windows
I then turned off the Automatic Restart function
Then upon restart the computer loaded windows and shut off to a blue screen displaying this message:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804EEF98, 0xF43DC7DC, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
Since then i started in safe mode and i have done the following:
1) attempted to restore to a previous date which didn't work and i later found out that cannot be done after installing windows xp service pack 2
2) ran ad-aware se several times, which was long overdue and turned up critical objects like the Alcan worm, a possible hijack attempt, VX2, etc.; this actually allowed me to open regedit as it wasn't working prior to this...although i didn't edit anything as i really didn't know what to edit
3) deleted numerous programs from the add/remove programs list, programs which i found online were actually unwanted
4) turned off system restore to delete anything that might be hidden in old restore points
5) uneducatedly attempted to disable a driver which i thought may have been the problem, this was unsuccessful and i re-enabled it
6) turned DEP to AlwaysOff as i thought that service pack 2 may have been the problem and this is a feature of service pack 2
7) adjusted advanced performance options - process scheduling adjusted for best perfomance of background services, memory usage adjusted for best performance of system cache, and page file size increased to 500 MB from 384 MB
8) removed symantec antivirus but the computer wouldn't allow it while in safe mode, so i deleted the SAVRT folder in Symantec as i have read that this has caused a conflict with service pack 2
Nevertheless, I still have the same problem with the blue screen and the stop error 0x0000008E
In addition I can't seem to connect to the internet even while in safe mode with networking (thus i am typing this from my laptop while sitting next to the desktop)
I also believe another symptom may be a problem with my CD-rom as it seems to just turn and turn without doing anything when a CD is inserted as i tried to insert a Application and Driver Recovery CD that came with my laptop
Finally after Google Searches seemingly always lead me here, I have decided to register and post
Help would be much appreciated