Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Failing To Detect Memory Stick, Etc ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scotjohn

scotjohn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

Help !! just purchased one off these portable memory sticks, plug it into the usb port off my pc , switch to my computer but dont see any drive for it ??!! funny enough the same ppc has an internal memory card reader, placing any memory card within these slots and also trying to run a bluetooth dongle with the supplied drivers all result in the same problem ie cant seem to find the drive for thse applications ??

can plug an external memory card reader into the usb port and the drive shows up okay but just seems to be these above devices.

any advice on where to start looking on my pc to enable thse devices to be detected ??

cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hoppingspider

hoppingspider

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

Are you running XP or earlier?

#3 S.Brad

S.Brad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Remember that for win98SE (or was 98 only?) you will need to install an USB patch from Microsoft and the driver from the manufacturer of your USB device o run properly. If yo are under win2k or XP (Vista too) it have to work instantly.

#4 scotjohn

scotjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

Hi yep sorry should have said running xp, just does not show up the drive for either the bluetooth dongle or the memory stick, any ideas ??

#5 hoppingspider

hoppingspider

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:12 AM

Plug in the device that is not being detected. Go to your device manager. Delete everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Then, at the top of the Device Manager, click on action, scan for new hardware changes (that may not be the exact wording, but it's close). The computer should re-install all of the root hubs and controllers. At this point, it should also detect the drive or dongle you inserted.

Sometimes, a USB device sort of "takes over." Almost like it doesn't want to share the USB ports with anything else. Don't know why, but the above has always worked for me.

I also have a firewire port, and a camera with a loose connection. If the cable becomes loose and looses connectivity, then regains it, the firewire port stops functioning, and I have to delete it from device manager and reinstall it. Need to get the camera fixed. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users