Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front Page Has A Mind Of Its Own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

I'm stumped. I opened the Home page to make a change to one of the page links which runs down the left side of every page. When I saved the page change, everything between <body> and </body> disappeared. I had backed up my web pages, so I opened the backed up home page and copied all the data between <body> and </body> to the clipboard. I then pasted this into the Front Page code page for the home page. Clicking on "Display" it showed the web page and all the pictures, data, etc. was there. So I saved the change. As soon as the Save window closed (showing the code page) all the data I had just pasted in was gone. I repasted the code and did a Save or a SaveAs 2 or 3 times and in every case when the window closed the data had vanished, leaving only the <head> information.

What can I do to keep the changes? The name of the home page is index.htm, if that matters. The reason I add that is because any changes I have made to other pages saves just like the good Lord intended.

I know I will get some help, here. I always do when I have a problem.
So, thanks in advance.
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:50 PM

OK. Forget the part about "it only does this on the index.htm page. I copied the index.htm page, with the pasted body in it onto a new page and SavedAs "HomePage.htm". the <body> info vanished on it, also. I also opened HTML-Kit (a good freebie html editor, by the way) and pasted the whole thing, head and body, into a new page. I could preview it (in HTML-Kit) so I saved it as HomePage2.htm in my website folder.

When I opened Front Page to look at it there was no body. I went back to HTML-Kit and it was still all there in the editor (I hadn't closed the program).
It has to be Front Page. . . Or me. . . I would really rather it was me.

Do I really have to spring for Dreamweaver? If so, will I have to re-write all 60 or so pages?
I'd really rather get Front Page to work.
KermitD

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

HI,
I used a WYSIWYG html editor (Pagebreeze) to make my website and I am having a similar problem. Every time I change something it stuffs up some of the code and I have to rebuild the page. I have found that it is better to use a text editor (I use the basic Notepad that comes with Windows).
I have the html editor program and Notepad both open then make changes in Notepad, reload page in the editor and the changes are there.
I am no expert and have found this to work by trial and error (mostly error :thumbsup: ). Might be worth a try.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

Sometimes weird things happen when one tries to write to a file with one application when it is open in another application (as you describe in your second post). I don't use FrontPage, but I have a nodding acquaintance with it (more so with DreamWeaver) . When you are editing the page, are you using the code view, or are you just dragging elements into the page in the 'build' view, and then trying to save?

#5 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

Sorry I took so long getting back.
Groovicus, everything I did was in the "code" mode. I tried every way I could think of to get the <body> to </body> data into the code page. Albeit every method except pasting it into HTML-Kit involved pasting it directly to the Front Page code page from the clipboard. The thing is, it pasted properly. I could view it in the Design mode. It was only when I went to Save the page that the body disappeared.

I went to the Front Page forum, which isn't nearly as easy to navigate as BleepingComputer, by the way, and all I got was a snotty reply which said that the <body> html was probably faulty. That particular html had been running as the home page of the website for over 5 years. And, besides, how would the Save function know if there was an html error, and why wouldn't it just save it, error and all?

Seems that it has to be a setting in Front Page.

Makes me crazy.
KermitD

#6 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

I fixed it. Well, I worked around it.

I copied the entire page code from a good index.html file I had saved to a different folder.

In Front Page, I opened a page called 'Test Page' which was blank except for the menu running down the left-hand side. I replaced the code with the whole page code I had on the clipboard and saved it as HomePage.htm. Then I went to the Folders page and right-clicked HomePage.htm. I selected "Make This Page the Home Page".

F.P. renamed index.html to OldIndex.html and renamed HomePage.htm as Index.htm. Anyway I uploaded the new Index.htm to the website and it's looking good.

I don't know what I would do if one of the other pages failed to save when I update them. Wish I knew why I had the problem in the first place.

Thanks, everyone,
KermitD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users