Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc Build - Use Windows Xp Pro Sp2 Or Vista?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

I'm slowly amassing the components for my next build, and I'm debating whether to make the jump to Vista or if I should stick with XP Pro SP2. Here is a list of hardware I have planned at this point:

- Antec P182 Case
- Antec Phantom 500W power supply
- Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard
- Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo CPU
- Scythe Ninja Rev. B CPU heat sink (used passively)
- 2 or 4 GB of DDR2 800 RAM (G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ or Corsair XMS2 6400C4)
- Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI x16 fanless video card
- Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card (if I don't use the on-board RealTek ALC882M audio chipset)
- One or two DVD burners (still trying to decide between IDE and SATA interface drives)
- Mitsumi 3.5" floppy/USB 2.0 flash card reader
- One WD Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3GB/s hard drive for OS and software
- Two WD Caviar SE16 WG5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM Sata 3GB/s hard drives for data and data backup
- Dell 2001 FP LCD monitor (re-using from current PC)

This will not be a gaming or home theater PC. It will be our home office PC, so it will be used for e-mail, internet, MS Office product use (Word, Excel, Publisher, etc.), photo editing (Photoshop CS2 or CS3 and possibly Lightroom), and maybe video editing if we ever buy a camcorder.

I'm leery of switching to Vista, as I'm not up to speed with all the hardware and software compatibility issues. I've tried to read some of the links posted here (and elsewhere) that deal with this issue, but it still doesn't give me complete comfort about going with Vista.

Maybe you all can convince me one way or the other?

If I do go with Vista, which level should I go with (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate), and should I go 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions/tips.

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

That's an overall good computer you're building. It should be able to handle Vista. If you do go with 4GB of RAM, you're going to need a 64-bit edition in order to use all of the memory effectively. In this case, Vista has XP beat. XP Pro 64-bit doesn't have many drivers and many of the technologies in it have been refined for Vista. Which version do you prefer? I use Ultimate, but most people would be able to use Home Premium without any hassles.

This site should help clarify the various Vista editions: SuperSite for Windows: Understanding the Various Editions

3939.png

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:30 AM

As DJBPace07 stated, the system will handle Vista quite well. Should you choose to go with the 64 bit version (XP or Vista) you may have issues finding appropriate drivers. The only 32 bit issue that I notice is that you'd have to be very careful with the selection of your sound card drivers - the Audigy is a bit "finicky" with Vista, but it's not a difficult issue to overcome. Using 4 gB of RAM on the 32 bit version will result in only 3.25 to 3.50 gB being recognized (but it still works well for me - and is much better than 2 gB).

That being said, Vista will give you the option of using all the newer technologies that won't be built into XP - so in this case, newer is better.

On the downside, you'll have to make sure that the programs that you're using are Vista compatible. Compatibility adjustments are fine for programs that you've just gotta have - but starting off with something that's designed for the OS will make life much easier for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

We (my brother and I) have one of each at home..

My first build *Origionally for gaming* has XP Pro (which I still love because of the versitility) <- sorry if I can't spell

My build for my brother *Who uses my computer for gaming so we converted Vista to an office PC* works well with office applications and is especially crisp graphics and runs smooth with a 64bit

"That being said, Vista will give you the option of using all the newer technologies that won't be built into XP - so in this case, newer is better"~very true!

I agree with DJBPace07 and USASMA

Personally I would recommend Vista for Office Use 64bit and just the Home edition (cheapest for prob. what u want to use it for) it all depends on what you use it for!

Edited by jball007, 09 July 2007 - 02:08 PM.

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users