Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Possible To Increase The Size Of The Page Under Windows Xp Pro ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nosh

nosh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

Sometimes I find it convenient to keep several files / web pages open at a time.
This often leads to a warning message that “page utilization is more than 90 %”. – and leads to system hang-up.

Is it possible to increase the size of the page under Windows XP Pro ? If so, how is it done ?
This would make it possible to continue working with several files / web pages open at a time.

My thanks, in advance, for any guidance that I may receive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

Increasing the computers memory would be a plus. You should also read up on virtual memory and choosing page file size

eldergeek.com
microsoft
dv411.com
If we have a tutorial on BC, I can't find it
Mark

"The minimum, should be 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have.
The maximum, should be at least, three times your memory.

If you want to adjust it:
Click Start / Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Advanced tab
Under Performance click the Settings button.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click the Change button.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, put a tick next to Custom size:.
Make your changes.
Then click the Set button.
Click OK.
Click Apply.
Click OK."
-tg1911

Edited by garmanma, 06 July 2007 - 12:19 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Also, based on personal experience, if you have more than one hard drive it's best to put the page file on the drive that doesn't have Windows installed on it.

#4 S.Brad

S.Brad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

I don't understand something... If I have more memory installed,... will be less disk access or paging... so why I need to have 1.5 times???
So someone with 512mb will need less paging file space than someone with 2gb... crazy!

#5 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

I don't understand something... If I have more memory installed,... will be less disk access or paging... so why I need to have 1.5 times???
So someone with 512mb will need less paging file space than someone with 2gb... crazy!

the page file gets bigger cause windows has to right more data that stored in ur ram i think
the more it stores the more it needs possibly for a dump?

Edited by noaim, 06 July 2007 - 08:47 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:31 AM

There's no easy rule for pagefile sizing - the 1.5 times is an estimate that works best for most users.

For example, I eliminated the pagefile in my copy of XP and ran just fine for months without it (I had lot's of RAM) - then I encountered a program that wouldn't run without the pagefile, so I had to create one in order to use the program.

I don't know what the programmer had in mind when they wrote the program, so I have no clue as to how much pagefile was required. I started with a small one and increased the size until the program would install - a long, tedious process that I don't care to go through again! :thumbsup: So now I have a static pagefile that's 1.5 times the size of my RAM just to avoid issues (I've got 4 gB of RAM, so my pagefile is 6 gB in size).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users