Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whine Coming From Gfx Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro636

Pyro636

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:19 AM

So i built my computer from everything i had ordered off newegg, and turned on the power and i hear this high pitched whine. I figure out its coming from my gfx card which is a EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card. I think it looks like it might not go in all the way on the left side near the back of the case. Could this be the problem or did i get a faulty card?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

Well, you definitely need to make sure it snaps into the slot fully. Otherwise you do risk ruining it. Does your computer boot up with picture or not?

#3 Pyro636

Pyro636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

nope it doesnt, and i cant get it in to the motherboard any farther.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

Yes, the card must be seated properly.

Do you have another slot you can try it in?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

You need to try to finagle the metal piece in between the case and motherboard in order to get it seated in the slot. Keep trying to get it in, but be careful not to damage the connectors.

What kind of motherboard is it?

#6 Pyro636

Pyro636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

i got the whine fixed guys/ turns out there was a power slot that i needed to connect to the psu and the whining didnt happen. I still cannot get any signal on my monitor though.
everything else is fine just cant get any picture to come up.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

You need to try to finagle the metal piece in between the case and motherboard in order to get it seated in the slot. Keep trying to get it in, but be careful not to damage the connectors.

What kind of motherboard is it?

the metal bracket refered to often is slightly bent or doesn't fit the case quite right, adjustment with a pair of needle nose pliers is needed, just be careful to securely hold the back of the card so you don't damage the solder connections

usually a little hand finger pressure will do the job, pliers for extreme cases only

I picked up some rma vid cards real cheap that way
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Pyro636

Pyro636
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card i have it in the pci-e slot

its in a MSI K9N SLI Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

The computer P.O.S.T ok? Make sure the card is seated completely and that no contacts were damaged on prior attempts. Make sure the ram is seated completely. Still nothing, remove all components accept the ram, video and processor and see if you can get a signal then.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users