Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For- And Ztr-files, Are They Sings Of Infection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thomcats

thomcats

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

Hello,

Using:
Window Professional Service Pack 2, on
Intel Pentium 4
CPU 3000 GHz
RAM 2 GB

I try to keep my comp as clean as possible, doing cleaning every morning before I start with:
Clean Cache 3.5
CCleaner 1.40.520
Registry Cleaner within jv16 Power Tools 1.5.1.311, and
Uniblue's Registry Booster 2.0.1013.3068

When that is done I have my main antivirus - Bitdefender v10 build 247 - running together with WinPatrol 11.3.2007 and Ad-Watch (part of Ad-Aware, see below)

Should I find that my comp is slow surfing or starts to turn pop up unknow files or error messages, I run AD-Aware Pro 1.06r1, SpyBot 1.4, and if nothing helps - Ewido 7.5.0.50 free, in safe mode.

So far I have been reported clean.

Although taking all these pre-cautions there has the last days turned up a couple of files that I don't know from where they come or what they intend to do on the comp. It is WinPatrol which reports on them and tells me that they are Hidden files which want to start some action or other. I have not agreed to proceed but deleted them since WinPatrol has not been able to give any information on what is behind these hidden files. Since they are recent, I have a hard time believing that they belong to the System, where they claim to reside. Although deleting them, they continue to re-occur and I continue to delete them. A rather unsatisfactory situation.

They look slightly different every time but certain elements are always present.

Thus I've seen one day:
FORD6.tmp
FORD8.tmp
ZTRD5.tmp, and
ZTRD7.tmp

And on another day they can look like this:
FOR3D.tmp
ZTR5D.tmp

And I've also seen:
Z@TR6.tmp

Does anyone know about these files, what they are meant to do and who issues them?

Are they harmful to my comp?

Many thanks in advance and also thanks for this excellent site and the advices one can get here.

Cheers
Thomcats

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

I think you have Vundo on your computer. Use the programs in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/3494/how-to-remove-virtumonde-stopguard-catlevents-trojanvundo/

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

I also advise you to stop using the registry cleaning programs. Totally unnecessary and very dangerous.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 thomcats

thomcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Thank you very much, I will go about following your instructions immediately.

Why would you say that the registry cleaning programs are unnecessary? Don't they reduce clutter?

Cheers
Thomcats

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

Here is a link to some pros discussing registry cleaners----4pages
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t...egistry+cleaner

Here is another with info on registry cleaning and other XP myths
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 thomcats

thomcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

Thank you VERY much!

:thumbsup:
Thomcats

0 user(s) are reading this topic