Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade Gone Wrong

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AAngel

AAngel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:41 AM

Hello,
I have a dell demension 4550 It had 512mb of ram I went to upgrade it and put in a 1GB stick too I got from crucial. Well after trying it several times now the monitor isint reading Theres nothing but a blank screen and the light on the monitor is orange like the computer is off. I tried a different graphics card thinking maybe it went out but it did the same thing. I also tried 2 other monitors on it. Can anyone please help me? Could the ram i put in have hurt the system board? I cant even get a monitor to work on it at all so I cant get into the bios or anything. Thank you.

Edited by AAngel, 06 July 2007 - 07:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

You didn't say if you removed the new stick of RAM, or not.
If not, remove it, and go back to your original (512mb) setup.
Does the problem still exist?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Paul-uk

Paul-uk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

Hi, I ran the scan tool from crucial and they recomended a 1gb as a great upgrade and 2gb as excellent.
I ordered and inserted the 1gb stick with my existing and it didn't run, they advised me to take out the original.
I then ordered the second 1gb and fitted it and its great.

I think the problem is compatibility with the two different memories.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

#4 AAngel

AAngel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

You didn't say if you removed the new stick of RAM, or not.
If not, remove it, and go back to your original (512mb) setup.
Does the problem still exist?

Yes I removed the new stick and put the old one only in and it still is doing the same thing.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:40 PM

I realize that this may seem like the obvious, but did you go back and make sure that everything is seated properly? Remove and reinsert your cards, check cables, PUS connections...?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

(As always, make sure the unit is unplugged first)
Keep the new stick out and make sure the old RAM is completely seated down in the slot as far as it will go with the clasps fully clamped on the stick. If it still won't boot after that, try and locate the CMOS reset jumper and set it to the reset position for a few seconds, then set it back. Sometimes it's labelled as a BIOS reset or Clear RTC. If you can't find that or don't know how to operate it, just pull out the button battery from the system board for a minute or so. Put it back, plug it in and see if it completes a boot.
Posted Image

#7 AAngel

AAngel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:39 AM

(As always, make sure the unit is unplugged first)
Keep the new stick out and make sure the old RAM is completely seated down in the slot as far as it will go with the clasps fully clamped on the stick. If it still won't boot after that, try and locate the CMOS reset jumper and set it to the reset position for a few seconds, then set it back. Sometimes it's labelled as a BIOS reset or Clear RTC. If you can't find that or don't know how to operate it, just pull out the button battery from the system board for a minute or so. Put it back, plug it in and see if it completes a boot.

Hello I just tried the reseting the jumper and taking the battery out i even unhooked the power cable and then took the battery out and still no signal on monitor. I have tried taking the old ram stick out and puting it back in a bunch of times including just the old one and just the new and still no monitor will work. Any other ideas that might help? Thanks!

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:24 AM

hopefully you haven't fried something by hooking and unhooking so many things

it's easy to lose focus and get frustrated and leave something loose

seating the video card and reconnecting the monitor are usually the 2 things that I have a problem with

just doublecheck all your connections
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 DaveM12

DaveM12

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

If there is more than one ram slot on your system board, try each stick in the other slot.
I saw basically the exact same thing happen at a friends house... He put in some RAM (Yes, it was compatible) and must've seated it wrong or something, and the monitor was doing the same thing, no picture at all. It turns out he fried one of his RAM slots, but I'm pretty sure his other one works fine.
Anyway, you might want to just try another RAM slot, or try the RAM in another computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users