Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how long does a computer last?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:02 AM

i know it can vary depending on how much you use it and how regulary you keep inside the tower clean.

but just say a heavy user who uses it every day say around 4-6 hours a day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:19 AM

I'm gonna guess 4-10 yrs, maybe more, maybe less. Depends on how abusive the kids are, lol.
Luckily, computers can be upgraded, well almost all of them can be.
If yours is store bought, IN MY OPINION, I'd get the extended warranty.
I was so glad I did on my very first IBM. The start button pooped out on me and the kit or whatever wasn't cheap. But it was free for me.
The opinions you receive here will be wide and varied. Sometimes it is just luck, too.

#3 Haroldo

Haroldo

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:50 AM

If you keep your computer parasite free (spyware, viruses, trojans, etc.) and you don't need a product that is above the capacity of your computer (if you are a gamer or graphics artist you might need the latest 'gadget', not available on your older model) then your computer can last a very long time.

Many find the need to get a new computer when they suffer infestation and proclaim "my computer is really slow".

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:39 AM

My computer isn't as fast as it was when i first got it (FEBRUARY 2004)
I still have 54.3GB free disk space. i have had viruses and trojans and spyware, probally still have some i suppose becuase i don't think you could get rid of every single one. My PC is a P4 2.8GHZ 512 Mb ram. 128mb graphics (3D) other information i would have to really search the info out of the pc.

How long do COmputer LCD monitors last (Used every day say the 4-6 hours)?

#5 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:54 AM

I note there was a similar thread a few days ago, but no time to locate. I would repeat my comment that this subject should be a wake-up call to everyone about backing up your data on a regular basis. It is relatively easy to replace a dead monitor, mouse, or CD-RW unit, but when your hard drive decides it's time to take a dirt-nap, you'll wish you had your documents, music, and photos burned to CD's. The effort should not take more than a few hours the first time and blank CD's are almost free; what are you waiting for? :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:24 AM

I have a computer that I bought in August of '99 that I use everyday and I never shut it down except for cleaning (which I don't do nearly often enough) and for removing and installing components.

The biggest issue you will have as a computer gets older is the inability to run the newer programs, including operating systems.

As twinsdad says backups are important. A second or third hard drive is also a good option.

As far as monitors go, the lifespan can vary depending on quality. Buy a good one with a 2 or 3 year warranty and you know that if its guaranteed that long it will most likely last.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:29 PM

I wanted to just give you my experience with a custom built computer. I got my first good pc in 99(got windows 98 from 3.11). The man who still builds pc's today used it for a year before I got it and then refurbished it and upgraded the CPU and video card on it for me.

It has 350mhz MMX and when I got it he upgraded the card to a 8mb! I then put in a 16mb card only 1-2 years later.

This means my pc was made in 98 and that means that my computer is 7 years old this year.

I still have the original 13 inch viewable monitor too. My computer is used non stop almost all day. In a family of 4 it is being used at least 10 hours a day between all of us.

As what was posted above in the future your pc will become almost unusable even if it still runs.

You will see in about 5 more years that the new software will be more power hungry and your once nice expensive pc will be nothing to even a printer.

You may ask why I said printer. I have a HP all in one printer(media card reader,scanner,printer,copier) and the minimum requirements are more than my old pc has in it.

As for the life of a PC I have read a CPU now days will not last no more than 10 years. By that time you will want a new pc anyways.

I have(had) some old computers from IBM and packerd bell that were about 11 years old or older and they still worked up to the day I tore them all apart for fun and put them in a box.

Your questions is a good one and very interresting too!

If you have any more questions just ask!

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:31 AM

My PC os 9 months old. $2499 WORTH.
on top i had to by a printer $199 all in one.
MS Office XP ($499) a few days ago i got MS Office 2003 $499 (i didn't know there was a new version) not that it much different except now it an ocean with icons.
but it will be supported longer than Office XP.
plus i had to get speakers (suround) $149
plus i added $299 for a LCD monitor.
It is a P4 2.8GHZ 512mb RAM 80GB hardrive 128mb graphics with 3D and whatever else. Windows XP Home. I want to update to Professional. i was told you can. even if you don't have the XP Home cd. Large companies give out recovery discs instead. as it cheaper to buy in bulk. NOTE: most of this info was seen above.

so all up $3995 pretty expensive.

SO anyone know what i can do with my old OFFICE XP since it's a waste to throw it away as it's 9 months old (from being opened). could i give it to someone. It doesn't require activation. Nor did my OFFICE 2003. they both said ALREADY ACTIVATED. when i went into help menu and selected Activate Product.

Edited by Izzy, 26 January 2005 - 01:35 AM.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:28 AM

I helped a friend build one just like yours and it cost him about $825 CDN (836.77 Australian dollars). He has 1GB of ram and a 120GB HDD. Thats just the case, whats inside and XP home

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:44 AM

i coulda saved $$$ heh?

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:07 AM

It would seem computers are more expensive where you are, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense as most parts are made in southeast Asia which is a lot closer to you.

Next time spend the extra on air fare, come up here, get a new computer and see Canada too. :thumbsup:

#12 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:33 AM

I'm going toput my two cents in on this if i may. I use my PC about 6-8 hours a day, I never turn mine off, except for monthly dusting and upgrades (when i can afford that). I've had my current system for about 2 years now. I'm a HEAVY gamer. I also do some
portfolio creation and small business documentation on my system. I'd agree with the others saying that if you keep your system virus free, which is a full time job, as well as physically clean and happy, it'll last as long as the software supports the hardware. I just got rid of 4 computers in my office that ran with Win2K with 256mb RAM, P3 500mhz proc and 40Gb hard drives. I wanted to build their new systems (job security :thumbsup: plus better versatility when upgrading) but we got DELLs. Not that there's anything wrong with dell, they gave us free 17" flat screen monitors with all four PCs.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:10 PM

Well you bought 4 PC the same brand from same place of course they give free Flat LCD 17inc monitors. i only bought one and got LCD but had to pay $299 extra. but hey i'm happy with that as LCD can cost $499 or more by them self.

DELL PC's are a nice looking machine but i don't know i've heard they use cheap parts but i must say who doesn't with a lot of big company brands. But if had to a nex PC i probally won't get an ACER. nice PC and all but i like to change brands to see which i like. i wasn't fussed on Compaq nice machines hough it was just wasn't right. but that was 12 before the PC i got now. so they might have changed a little. but i won't a new pc probally another 2 years. I can't wait to get rid of Windows XP and get a new windows system. Don't like XP much. it has good and bad points. but i think every version of windows has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users