Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Freezes Shortly After Login

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CourtFool

CourtFool

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

I am posting from work so I do not have the exact specifics of my computer. I bought the system from Cyberpower about two years ago and their support is all but worthless.

Foxconn Winfast NF4UK8AA-8EKRS Motherboard (I believe)
1GB x2 Memory
250GB SATA Hard Drive
Windows XP SP2

Shortly after logging into Windows, the system will freeze. I can move the cursor, but nothing responds. Alt+Ctrl+Del does not respond. I have to hard boot. I have not timed it, but I would guess it happens about two minutes after logging into Windows. It does not seem to be related to any specific program as it freezes regardless of what I am doing or not doing after login.

I have reformatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows 3+ times now. The most recent time, I installed the drivers for the motherboard and the video drivers. I was fine up to that point. I surfed around the net a little while to see if it would freeze up on me again. Everything was fine, I thought I was finally out of the dark. I went to Microsoft to get all the updates. It prompted me to install the 'update' application and then started downloading the updates when the computer froze up again. I hard booted and, sure enough, two minutes after login it freezes again.

I can start in safe mode and it does not freeze up. This makes me suspect it is not a hardware issue, but at this point I am not ruling anything out. The only software loaded is XP, motherboard drivers, video drivers and AVG Anti Virus so I would not think it is a virus issue. I was able to run chkdsk in safe mode and it did not report any errors. I could not run memtest in safe mode. I have tried each memory stick individually with the same results. I think it unlikely both sticks would go bad at the same exact time. Also, at boot up, it says it is running a memory test and counts off the memory. It never reports an error.

I am stumped and very frustrated. I would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users