Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Running Slower Than A Snail!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mmlgoh

mmlgoh

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:12 AM

My computer is running slower than a snail. Can anybody help me to speed this computer up? It's driving me nuts!! :thumbsup:

Also I try to play the Black & White game on my computer. But the game window closes before even starting. Why? :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:15 AM

Welcome to BleepingComputer.com mmlgoh.
What secruity software are you running? What are the specs on your computer, RAM, Proccessor, hard drive(and unused space), and what version of XP are you using?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

A good place to begin fixing the problem is to read the "Slow Computer Checklist" found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 mmlgoh

mmlgoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

What secruity software are you running? What are the specs on your computer, RAM, Proccessor, hard drive(and unused space), and what version of XP are you using?

I'm using Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, 128MB RAM, HDD size 19.5GB and 15.9GB free space Windows XP Home edition. When my PC was new the performance was good and fast but now... :thumbsup:

I'm using AVG Antivirus and Spyware Terminator

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

After cleaning up your temporary files and defragging as suggested in jgweed's post you should use the two programs in the links below. Spyware terminator is not adequate and many consider no more than an ad/spyware platform. The programs below are free for the home user and there is a list of free programs that have been recommended by the members here in the last link below.
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

After getting cleaned up, you should consider adding more memory. In my opinion 128mb is below what is needed.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

Window XP will run on 128MB or RAM, but even M$ suggest at least 256MB, and most everyone else soon realized that you really need at least 512MB. When you get into a application that is a bit of a resource hog and your RAM starts running low the hdd tries to take up the slack, and now that yours is significantly filled this is becoming a big problem. You hdd needs to maintain a small percentage of free space in order to operate in normal circumstances, when it is a full as yours is and this happens it will only slow the system more.

I would suggest doing the usual maintenance, clean out the dust inside the case, defag the hdd, delete cookies and histories..., but I would also suggest adding more RAM, transfer some of your files to either CDs or DVDs, or add another hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:59 AM

I'm using Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, 128MB RAM, HDD size 19.5GB and 15.9GB free space Windows XP Home edition. When my PC was new the performance was good and fast but now... :thumbsup:

I'm using AVG Antivirus and Spyware Terminator

When your computer was new it had a clean install with minimum processes installed and running. I suspect you will not be happy with your computer performance until you increase your RAM to atleast 512mb. I would recommend 1GB, since the price of RAM is so cheap. If you only increased RAM you will see a huge leap in performance.

#8 mmlgoh

mmlgoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

When your computer was new it had a clean install with minimum processes installed and running. I suspect you will not be happy with your computer performance until you increase your RAM to atleast 512mb. I would recommend 1GB, since the price of RAM is so cheap. If you only increased RAM you will see a huge leap in performance.

My RAM IS 128MB according to 'My Computer'. I do want to upgrade my RAM but the problem is I'm having an RDRAM. Where in the world am I going to find this type of RAM?? :thumbsup:

This RAM is already obsolete right??

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

Sites that sell RDRAM:
http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UT...F-8&q=RDRAM

Crucial will scan your computer or you can enter the info for your computer and they will tell you the options for memory.
http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/...;memtype=CHOOSE

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:09 AM

It has to be installed in pairs.

http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Memory-...ListingItemList

0 user(s) are reading this topic