Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emailing Photoshop Files...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sunflower1

Sunflower1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:42 AM

I've created an album cover in PHOTOSHOP CS, and I've attempted to email it as an attachment, but the receiver said that the album cover did not show up!!! They're seeing RED X's instead.

I've been saving it as a TIFF file, because I undersatnd that it'll need to be in taht format for printing. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could someone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:18 AM

If they're using XP they should be able to save the file to the desktop and then open it with Windows Picture Viewer, or with Paint.
Otherwise just save it as a high quality JPEG. It'll be a fairly large file but there isn't much getting around that.
Posted Image

#3 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:21 AM

I just saved it as a JPEG, and emailed it to myself and it's showing up as a little "notebook" sheet of paper. Are there any steps I should follow while saying the file in photoshop first such as flatten the image or merging the layers..?

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:33 AM

I'm not sure... what are you using to open the file?
You might use the Save For Web dialog with the side by side original and optimized 2-up pane to get a good idea of what your file will end up looking like, and then double checking it by opening the saved file. If it opens fine on your system then it should be fine for anyone else's.
Posted Image

#5 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:43 AM

For now, I'm just using Yahoo. I'm checking in my "sent" folder and I notice that the images are showing up as red x's. the thing is - that I've been downloading the images, from my emails, and it opens fine for me. But, it isn't opening for others.

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:14 AM

Offhand I don't think most web browsers support viewing a TIFF image within the browser window.
Are you sure your users are downloading the image and then opening it with the appropriate program?
Posted Image

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

:flowers:-->
QUOTE(Lena B @ Jul 6 2007, 03:21 AM) View Post
I just saved it as a JPEG, and emailed it to myself and it's showing up as a little "notebook" sheet of paper. Are there any steps I should follow while saying the file in photoshop first such as flatten the image or merging the layers..?[/quote]

I'd flatten it then try emailing it. Most (if not all?) browsers dislike layers and don't really know how to deal with them well. If it still won't work, then it might be to big (overall file size), and I'd try as arcman suggested and try reducing the size of it (file size, not PPI!). Try saving it as a .jpg at maybe 10 quality then email it...see how it works. Good luck! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 kctate

kctate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Lena,

If you are still having problems with the Photoshop file, I recommend that you check a few items that frequently cause File Transfer Protocol issues.

Select the "Image" drop down menu at the top of your Photoshop program, then select the color mode RGB. RGB is the standard color format for internet files. [Freqently, the choice of CMYK, a format used in lithography and offset printing, a frequent cause of internet issues]

It is best to avoid a TIFF format. TIFF is file format rarely seen beyond the graphics and print industry.

If you have a Mac, you will want to save the files in a friendly format for your Windows friends, too. The Save As drop-down menu provides such options for cross platform protocols.

For viewing on the internet, it is usually safe to save images in JPEG format. Photographs with broad spectrum of color manage well under JPEG format and if your recipient will be printing the file, JPEG is the file format for you.

Still, you have another very user friendly option avaliable, too. GIF. Both graphic formats are widely used as standard formats on the internet. If you have an image requiring areas of transparency, GIF is the format to use. Gif files do well at small file sizes, too.

Good luck....

Tate

#9 Pix_Z

Pix_Z

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

When you are done saving as a TIFF, save it again as a JPEG file for e-mailing purposes. Flatten the image and omit any selection channels you have created. I have seen Windows recognize a TIFF, but only recently. Your recipient's computer is probably not set up to recognize a TIFF and what program to open it with.

If your file is too big to e-mail, you can upload it at yousendit.com. This is a free service. Your receiving party will receive an e-mail that a file is available for them to download.

#10 gurlgonebonkers

gurlgonebonkers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

I'm sure you've already figured out how to fix the problem or found another alternative, but maybe this could help someone else.

I don't think that the receiving party is having a hard time seeing TIFFs as this is how they require receiving files, right? I'm assuming something is happening in the upload process of your email. Have you tried packaging your psd/tiff file into a zip or rar file? I've always used this method to send via email and have never had any problems sending photoshop files this way. Just google rar or zip and you can find some cheap/free ways to get this done.

#11 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

.PNGs are always nice too. They retain a lot of quality...

Make SURE the file is under 10MB!!! Most free web mail won't allow larger files than that, and it won't upload...

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

Save as JPG & send as JPG.
If necessary,add to a folder & zip it.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users