Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Remember External Drives...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

I was given a couple of 3.5" hard drives, and bought enclosures for them. But, every time I plug them into my laptop, the laptop acts as though it's never seen these drives before and has to go through the "add hardware wizard" before I can access them. I don't have this problem on my desktop PC; the drives are immediately recognized and are useable in seconds.

Why would my laptop not remember these drives? I also have a couple of Western Digital My Books, but my laptop has no problem with these.

What can I do so that these new externals are instantly recognized? Do I need to create a hardware profile for them on my laptop?

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:39 AM

What type of connection are they using? USB, firewire, SCSI, Ethernet?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

I'd suggest plugging each one in and assigning it a different drive letter - that may help with the recognition. Also, if you're plugging other devices into the computer, they may "steal" the drive letter assignment and force Windows to redetect the drive (this happens with my flash drives a lot at work).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

I'd suggest plugging each one in and assigning it a different drive letter - that may help with the recognition. Also, if you're plugging other devices into the computer, they may "steal" the drive letter assignment and force Windows to redetect the drive (this happens with my flash drives a lot at work).

Hello:
Firstly, they're all using USB connections. Secondly, I have already assigned them drive letters; I thought about that one beforehand. But since my post, the drives (or the laptop, rather) seem to be working just fine now. It was as though the laptop had to discover the "new" hardware a couple of times before it REALLY believed me. LOL. I'll post back here should there be any further problems with this issue.

Again, thank you guys. I've only been using BleepingComputer for a couple months, and it has saved me a ton of hair-pulling. LOL. Thanks again!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#5 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

Hello:
Firstly, they're all using USB connections. Secondly, I have already assigned them drive letters; I thought about that one beforehand. But since my post, the drives (or the laptop, rather) seem to be working just fine now. It was as though the laptop had to discover the "new" hardware a couple of times before it REALLY believed me. LOL. I'll post back here should there be any further problems with this issue.

Again, thank you guys. I've only been using BleepingComputer for a couple months, and it has saved me a ton of hair-pulling. LOL. Thanks again!

Okay, maybe I spoke too soon. Still, on occasion, the said two external hard drives are detected as "new hardware", even though the laptop has "seen" both externals before. It does not seem to happen in relation to any other activity on my laptop, so really it appears to happen randomly.

Anyone have any further thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

Try checking for hidden devices in Device Manager - there should be a record of each device there. Check their properties to see if they've got any attribute that will allow them to "go away" when unplugged.

Edited by usasma, 16 July 2007 - 06:37 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

Try checking for hidden devices in Device Manager - there should be a record of each device there. Check their properties to see if they've got any attribute that will allow them to "go away" when unplugged.

I've checked the device manager. And of course it shows any external drives, I don't see any attribute that would make them "go away" when unplugged. BUT, I did notice two options in the "policies" tab. I can optimize for performance, or optimize for quick removal. I changed all of them to optimize for performance. It made sense to me, and my boyfriend said it was a good idea; and he knows more about this kind of stuff than myself.

So far, so good. I'll let you folks know if it gives me any further trouble.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users