Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Permanently Stop Auto-run Feature?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

Harry Waldron has an important security post today
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98774/harry-potter-worm-new-usb-based-worm-spreading/

USB based worm attacks are growing extensively in popularity
They work in a similar to the floppy worms years ago in automatically spreading. As a best practice, users should lock down CD, DVD, and USB devices so that they don't automatically run content where applicable.

It seems like I have to keep telling Windows over and over and over again to NOT autorun USB hard drive or flash and it remembers it for a bit (a day or two) and then forgets. Suggestions?

Windows XPhome-Sp2, laptop, powered down daily.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:04 AM

Here is a Microsoft KB article that describes how to disable the registry key for the auto run feature.

How to Enable or Disable Automatically Running CD-ROMs

Remember to backup your registry PRIOR!!! to making a registry change.

ERUNT Registry Backup Utility
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

Thanks, acklan, for the reference. I still need help, please.

The only key they mention is CDRom, no usb
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom

And I do not have this key at all
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095
:thumbsup:

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

I didn't think USB drives autoran. I thought it required editing the autorun.ini file to actually get it to autorun. When I insert my USB drive, it pops up with a box of decisions of what I want to do with it.

#5 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

You might also try Tweak UI, one of the Microsoft Power Toys available here It will allow you to disable auto-run on every drive letter even if the drive does not exist.

Edited by jchedot, 06 July 2007 - 11:33 AM.

I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

I didn't think USB drives autoran. I thought it required editing the autorun.ini file to actually get it to autorun. When I insert my USB drive, it pops up with a box of decisions of what I want to do with it.

Oh! You know, I guess I'm not using the right words. When I connect USB harddrive it does a routine of some sort of autoplay (??) which I have to stop. And when I connect flash, it goes to that selection box, and I always select do nothing, but Windows doesn't remember and keeps asking. Also often when I connect flash, it tries that autoplay routine.

jchedot, I'll look into that tweakUI thing. Thanks.

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hey tos!

I actually might be able to help you out for once! :thumbsup: I learned awhile back that AutoRun and AutoPlay are two different things, and best to get rid of both.

Once you install TweakUI, go to:

My Computer > AutoPlay > Types and UNCHECK both options ("Enable AutoPlay for CD and DVD Drives" and "Enable AutoPlay for removable drives").

Then for good measure, go to My Computer > AutoPlay > Drives and UNCHECK *everything*.

You should be good to go. This in conjunction with disabling AutoRun in the registry seems to be the best guarantee of things not running on their own.

I have my AutoRun turned off via the registry as described in that MS link. However, I also don't have the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095

Mine actually says:

(Default) REG-SZ (value not set)
NoDriveAutoRun REG_BINARY ff ff ff 03
NODriveAutoRun REG_DWORD 0x000000b5 (181)

Anyone know what that means? (Not trying to hijack the thread, but since tos mentioned this, I thought it might be helpful to show what I've got listed...)

You might also try Tweak UI, one of the Microsoft Power Toys available here It will allow you to disable auto-run on every drive letter even if the drive does not exist.

You can't disable AutoRun with TweakUI, only AutoPlay as described above. For AutoRun disable, I believe you *have* to disable it in the regsitry (I think I read in Vista maybe if lets you do it in Windows).

Of course, I'm talking about XP SP2 here...

Edited by bloomcounty, 03 August 2007 - 12:11 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

tos226, did this help and/or solve your issue? I was all excited that I actually might have helped someone else out on the board, but I never heard back. Hope it helped! :thumbsup: (And thanks for *your* help!)
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:43 PM

My Computer doesn't have an Autoplay button, checkbox or tab. How do I get to it ?

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

My Computer doesn't have an Autoplay button, checkbox or tab. How do I get to it ?

Download TweakUI from here.

Install it.

Run TweakUI.

Once it's open, look for My Computer on the left-hand side. Click the + sign next to it. Once expanded out, you should see:

Drives
Special Folders
AutoPlay
Drive Letters

Click the + next to AutoPlay. You should see:

Drives
Types
Handlers

Choose Drives and *deselect* all drive letters.

Then choose Types and *deselect* both options on the right, so neither option is enabled/checked.

Close TweakUI.

You should be good to go. Note, this is for Windows XP Home. If you have a different OS or for some reason it doesn't show up this way for you, then I don't know at that point... :flowers:

If you want to disable AutoRun, you can follow the instructions in the link provided further above in this thread.

Hope that helped! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 14 August 2007 - 07:00 PM.

#11 daffsbro

daffsbro

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:00 PM

I have the same issue with my USB hard drive. and my usb harddrive has spyware on it. LOL!
every time I plug it in it does auto play and infects the computer Im on... thats anoying...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users