Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Anyone Else Noticed Some Links On Here

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Sometimes on this site and this site only, I will click a link, the page will freeze up, and then nothing happens. The link I clicked doesn't pop up, and the window is frozen beyond help. The only way to shut the page is to shut down, I have tried EVERYTHING. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

You may be trying to post in the two or three minute time frame that the Forum Data Base back up is being accomplished.

Four times a day on the hour. The hour will depend on what time zone one is in.

We'll check it and give you more updated info.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

This happens to my PC also a few tmes every Day without fail.I have got to accept it, and I go make a coffee.
Only happens as you say,'Koan Yorel' if I try to post at this time. All works great otherwise. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 05 July 2007 - 10:08 PM.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

One could just not post or use the site around the top of any hour. I like half-way points better. Or just grab a coffee with DSTM.

I didn't even know the site did a backup that often now. KY is this more often backup a result of the incident a few weeks ago (on June 13th, I think) when we had to roll to a backup?

Edited by yano, 05 July 2007 - 10:35 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

I have also experienced the occasional lag, but I've never had it hang up my computer. Ryan, are you sure that you don't have some other problem with your computer?

Edited by dc3, 06 July 2007 - 11:20 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:13 AM

Hang on friends, I'm trying to get the exact times that the BC performs the data base back ups.
(I was told the times but had a few senior moments since then.)
It was changed a bit on the last board software up grade.
I also experience some lag.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Never should any links here hang your computer or freeze the browser. The only thing you may experience is that you occasionally click on a link and it just sits there waiting for the site to respond. This happens when there is a heavy load on the site or we are doing a backup. Backups occur approximately every 8 hours.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

Never should any links here hang your computer or freeze the browser. The only thing you may experience is that you occasionally click on a link and it just sits there waiting for the site to respond. This happens when there is a heavy load on the site or we are doing a backup. Backups occur approximately every 8 hours.

Thanks for the quick response 'Grinler'. I agree with the bold print,but our PC's are lagging at precisely the same time,a number of times a day.I am not the only member having these problems. Maybe something is being overlooked. No one complained about any problems like this till recently.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:49 AM

I can't see anything at all on BC that would affect your computer, or even the browser window. At the most you should see is that the browser just cant get to the site, or it just sits their waiting. You should be able to press stop on the browser and go to another site.

#10 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

I post on here all day long and have never had these issues described.

Although thinking about it....I use Firefox with Ad-Block, and have my preferences set to block all signatures, avatars, etc.

Edited by jwinathome, 06 July 2007 - 11:57 AM.

#11 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

The only reason I know the browser or at least the page I am on is totally frozen is that all the animated sigs (mine included) cease to move. And I'll try to see at what times I encounter this problem.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 06 July 2007 - 12:09 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

Although thinking about it....I use Firefox with Ad-Block, and have my preferences set to block all signatures, avatars, etc.

Navigation to any forum link from the index page is quite fast. The problem a number of members are having is the posting laggs at precisely the same times Daily.Had I known you dont care for sigs and avatars,I could have saved a member here a lot of time designing the visuals for me. LOL

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

The viewing of Sigs, and Avatars, can be disabled from My Controls / Options / Board Settings
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

Navigation to any forum link from the index page is quite fast. The problem a number of members are having is the posting laggs at precisely the same times Daily.Had I known you dont care for sigs and avatars,I could have saved a member here a lot of time designing the visuals for me. LOL

Ha! My bad....its a work thing, you know? It doesn't look good to executives if they see all sorts of pictures.

#15 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Yes.

You've described exactly what I've experienced a few times.

Very small price to pay knowing that you are backing up so often.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users