Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Windows Xp Startup - Weird Dialog Box & No .exe Are Able To Run

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 katiemac

katiemac

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

:thumbsup:
Hi All, this is my first post so bare with me....
this started when I turned the computer on about a week ago, the welcome screen (with the blue backgound) appeared as usual but then a dialog box then appeared (the first time this has ever happened). First it says error c:\windows\system32\usmt\script.dll and the only thing you can do is press ok.
So the desktop appears but then everything except my computer, my documents, recycle bin, outlook express & internet explorer are the only shortcuts working. All other programs from antivrus, word, windows games to control panel and everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in between aren't being recognised. even if we download programs (such as scanning software) can't be recognised. We were finding this a little baffling as the night before it was working fine. We got rid of all temp internet files and what not. As you can see Internet is working perfectly, suprisingly!
We did manage to do a scan via Trend, Housecall and AVG but no viruses found. We've looked around on forums and advice but nothing. The only thing we could think of was that we downloaded service pack 2 and it could be something to do with that. We didn't open any weird looking emails or download anything dodgy.
So we found how to uninstall SP2 (as it was saying we had it already) through Add or Remove (adwiz.cpl?? as we can't get to it through the actual control panel) but it doesn't appear on the list (even as Show Updates) so is it saying we don't have it?!
Maybe it only downloaded a bit but not all of it - but then we don't know what is SP2 and what isn't so we can't delete anything.
We restarted the pc again but now the dialog just as three squares in the top left on the blue bar and then some weird symbol in the actual box and still no change.
We can't even use Help & Support or any of those. Nothing appears in the small toolbox thing in the bottom right excpet for the time and AVG saying it needs an update - you can't even bring the clock application up.
Does anybody know what the heck is going on as I've never experienced this before. Some things seem to be ok, if u can access them through a command in Run (like adwiz.cpl) as long as it isn't .exe lol
Also we can't get to msconfig or regedit or anything - not recognising any of it! So bizarre, is there some sort of missing link or something??!!
Any help no matter how small would be gratefully received, we're tempted to jack it in and buy Vista at this rate! Also we're going to move all the photos and documents over t the external hard drive just in case things gets messy. Any suggestions :flowers:
Look forward to hearing from you (soon I hope!)

***UPDATE!!***
Found out how to run regedit.exe....CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager > File, hold down CTRL and click on run Task manager, this brings up the command > type REGEDIT.EXE

Thought I'd let you all know just in case you were having the same problem as me

Edited by katiemac, 06 July 2007 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:39 PM

Did the problems start when you tried to install Service Pack 2?
TIf so, technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).
There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries.
Phone numbers for international support can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

You can also check to see if anything here, might help:
You receive an error message when you try to start a program that has an .exe file name extension
Cannot run EXE files - Programs don't open
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 katiemac

katiemac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hi!
Well we're only assuming it was after installing service pack 2 as that was the only thing we have downloaded recently and this has never happened before. Thinking about it we've also updated Windows Media Player but can't see that doing any harm??
Am about to going with link you gave about how to solve .exe problems - just backing up files and what not

**ANOTHER UPDATE**
No luck with the info on the link as had no effect at all :thumbsup:

Edited by katiemac, 06 July 2007 - 10:30 AM.

#4 katiemac

katiemac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:02 AM

is there a way to get to regedit without having to use the Run box - regedit.exe as it isn't recognising this and can't run it. Can I get to the subkeys through folders and back them up that way??? **SEE END OF FIRST POST**

UPDATE
I can't even access Safe Mode! I've saved all our documents & pictures on the external and tempted to try and restore factory settings or something but I can't even do a System Restore - I'm tempted to jack it in and buy vista or something.....any ideas anyone - starting to feel like this is a waste of energy trying to sort this out, can't seem to get anywhere

Edited by katiemac, 06 July 2007 - 10:04 AM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

Start / My Computer / C: / Windows / regedit.exe
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 katiemac

katiemac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

Hi tg1911,
not even that is working - this is so weird. Only way I can access it is through c:\ command box....restarted pc now the dialog has changed to a few squares then c:\windows\system32\regwiz.exe Could it be a prob with the System32 file???
I don't want to go changing/deleting them as no idea what they do..
Any ideas how I can uninstall files of SP2 (It's not coming up saying we have it installed, through Add/Remoe Programs) but I can't reinstall SP2 as it says we have it already...ergh! Tempted to order the CD but it takes 4-6 weeks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users