Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons On Desktop Flicker

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lil ole granny

lil ole granny

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

I have done everything from changing monitors, doing a sfc / scannow, defragging, scan disk, changing the refresh speed on the monitor, and going on HP help chat line to get some answers but nothing seems to work. I even asked at two different computer tech stores if they ever had a pc in their shop that was doing what my pc was doing and they haven't heard of it.

I have a HP Pavilion a520n XP. About 6 months ago the desktop icons fade in and out for a split second. They do this about every 30 minutes or so. My web pages are okay but if I have My Docs folder open, that folder will fade in and out or flicker, whatever you call it. Is there anything else that I can check and has anyone else had this problem?

I am afraid that my pc will crash one of these days because of it. I would take my pc in but no one has ever heard of a pc doing what my pc is doing and I don't want to put out the money and they not be able to fix it. Would rather buy a new one.

Thanks, lil ole granny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:35 PM

You said you did everything, but you didn't mention refresh/update video drivers. Did you do that also?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lil ole granny

lil ole granny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

Yes I did those two things.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

I'm assuming you've looked in Device Manager for any yellow exclamation points. Have you looked in Event Viewer for any errors? Maybe check Task Manager while it's happening to see if anything spikes. Double check settings in Power Management. In a few searches, there were suggestions of a virus or malware. These are just things off the top of my head
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Here's something to try that, might work:
kellys-korner

Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar - #195, on the Right
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 lil ole granny

lil ole granny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

No errors in the Event viewer, It is hard to open the task manager to see if there are any spikes as the flicker is a split second. How do I check the Power management settings? No virus or malware as I did a HJT on community feedback and they found nothing. I'll try Kellys Korner # 195 now. Thanks so far.

#7 lil ole granny

lil ole granny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

Kellys Korner #195 didn't work. But thanks anyway.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Something to try:
Go to the Control Panel and double click on display and select the screen saver tab. Set your screensaver to none. At the bottom of the screensaver window click on the tab that says power. For the power scheme, set monitor, hard drive, and system standby to never. Be sure to click "apply" then "OK" for the selections. Run it for a while and see if anything changes
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 lil ole granny

lil ole granny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Mark for the input but I already did that a while ago when my pc kept freezing up on me but it didn't stop the flickering.

#10 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

I don't know if any of these will help but...

A couple more at kellys-korner

121. Increase Icon Cache

166. Add Icon Cache Size to Folder Options/View (on the right side)

I've used this one to increase my icon cache size without having to fool with the registry. It's possible your icon cache is too small. After running it, you will find about 4 different size settings at the bottom of the list of settings in the view tab.

RefreshEm
(I've used this one in the past also.)

http://camtech2000.net/Pages/Useful.html

You may have noticed that sometimes the Desktop and Windows Explorer start to display the wrong Icons for some file types. Running RefreshEm when they do repairs the Windows Icon Cache so that the proper ones are immediately displayed. It does not stay in memory, immediately terminates after using it and has no visible Window. Just click or double click the Icon each time you want to refresh the icons. Win95/98/Me/Win2K/XP

Download 79 Kb

http://camtech2000.net/Programs/refrsh10.zip

#11 lil ole granny

lil ole granny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Thanks mommabear, will try that.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

There are two things that are possibly wrong:

1. The inside of the power supply needs to be cleaned out. Use a can of compressed air. blow out the dust through the input vents inside the computer, and with the computer off blow in through the exhaust fan. Here are Instructions on how to clean the whole computer.

2. You are having power problems inside your structure. Get a back up battery, with automatic voltage regulation, and see if this solves the problem. Personally, I always use APC products.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#13 lil ole granny

lil ole granny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

thanks oldf@art, will try that later.

P.S. Love your name