Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 moboy

moboy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

When I start the laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501, Vista Basic) I keep getting a small window with
"Windows Explorer has stopped working" followed by a new small window "Windows Explorer is restarting" and then within ten seconds it repeats the small windows over and over. When the small windows are open, cannot access anything else on the computer. Can access other programs on the computer during the ten seconds the small windows are not open. Have tried system restore and problem persists.
Have also somehow acquired Virusprotectpro (granddaughter has access to laptop!) which I understand I need to get rid of (Virusprotectpro, not grandaughter!)
Anybody got any help for me? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hi moboy. Welcome to BleepingComputer.

You could try this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98219/how-to-remove-virusprotect-or-virus-protect-removal-instructions/

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 moboy

moboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

rowal, I tried to remove the virusprotectpro, but cannot get the tools downloaded to be able to remove program. could this virus be related to windows explorer not starting?

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hi moboy.

I can't really say. You could try bringing up Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) >FILE >NEW TASK - write in explorer.exe >OK.

If this doesn't get Windows Explorer to run, some other member may have further ideas.

Cheers

EDIT: You could try booting into SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING to download and run the tools. (Download, and update the tools if necessary, then disconnect from the Internet and follow the steps).
Safe Mode prevents the infection from hiding and causing trouble while you fix it.

Edited by rowal5555, 05 July 2007 - 08:47 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 moboy

moboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:16 PM

rowal, bringing up explorer thru task manager didn't work. Will try booting thru safe mode with networking tomorrow. going to bed now. thanks for the suggestions.

edit: Just noticed your location. What time is it in NZ?

Edited by moboy, 05 July 2007 - 11:19 PM.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

1624 hrs. We are GMT + 12

Hope it goes well for you.

Edited by rowal5555, 05 July 2007 - 11:25 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

Just a quick answer to your question

rowal, I tried to remove the virusprotectpro, but cannot get the tools downloaded to be able to remove program. could this virus be related to windows explorer not starting?

I have had this exact same problem with several of the earlier smitfraud variants getting loaded onto windows Vista. Try downloading and running Rogue Remover Free

If you have access to another computer, download the installer to a thumb drive, run the installer in safe mode with networking, update the database, and follow directions in the program.

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 July 2007 - 12:49 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 moboy

moboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

OK Guys, I finally got the virus off using rogue remover. Being an old fart (59+) myself, it took some time because I only had a few seconds between the "Windows Explorer not working" windows recycling to allow for accessing the removal program. Anyway it and some others are gone,
but the problem of the "Windows explorer has stopped working" and "Windows Explorer is restarting" windows recycling over and over continues. Any more suggestions? Thanks

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

The next step would be to perform a Startup Repair of Vista

As usual let us know if this works.

#10 moboy

moboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

Oldf@rt, the startup repair of Vista you referred to requires a Windows Vista DVD which I do not have. The laptop is my stepson's (construction crew foreman) business computer and I am just trying to help him. The company he works for has some computer support at the home office,
but he is on the road most of the time and couldn't get the laptop to them for a few days.
Probably will wait and let him take it to their people unless you have another suggestion.
Thanks.

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hi moboy.

I would be inclined to try the REPAIR option anyway. It is quite likely there is a Recovery Partition built in to the system which may be accessed when you try this. Once only, you can usually make a set of backup disks from this recovery partition, which is handy to have if everything turns to custard.

I am not familiar with your particular system, but this is the general way of things these days. Very few are shipped with a hardcopy of the Operating System, which is why you have the option of making your own.

PS. Just a thought. Is the computer fully updated from MS Updates?

Edited by rowal5555, 06 July 2007 - 06:38 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

What kind of laptop is this? If I remember HP/Compaq laptops can do the repair from the recovery partition {F11} should get you into the correct partition, to run the repair options, that is if you have an HP or compaq.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

Have you scanned the system for other virus infections? Often there's more than one virus and multiple programs will find even more issues with infections.

FWIW - here's 2 free online scanners:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://safety.live.com/ (requires IE and will tell you it's not compatible - but clicking on the Full Service Scan button will provide a link to the OneCare scan that is compatible).

Once that's done, if explorer.exe still isn't working, then a repair is really the only option besides a format and reinstall (generally, fixing explorer.exe errors will take much longer than a repair will - and they achieve the same result).

Finally, you may want to try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW, here's how to do it:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Here's a couple of links about SFC.EXE:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 moboy

moboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

Thanks fellas for the help. I got the laptop working today by doing a system restore to a date about 3 weeks ago. I didn't want to go back that far without checking with stepson. The laptop seems slow and I think it still has some security issues, but will let his company people work on that. Thanks again and I'm sure I"ll be back for help.

#15 cssiscool

cssiscool

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:43 PM

Windows Explorer quits and restarts on me too. But I have never seen any VirusprotectPro ads. i searched my hard drive for it and found no mention of it.

Edited by cssiscool, 14 August 2007 - 03:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users