Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nicknite

nicknite

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:05 PM

:flowers:
I have an existing HDD which was partitioned as c: 20gb and d: 40gb. I would like to reformat this drive as c: 60gb drive. Currently i use XP Home and it is installed on the c:. What do i need to do to reformat this drive?
Thanks,
Nicknite
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:14 AM

You would need to wipe the disk and reformat it as a single partition, then reinstall windows and all your programs & data.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 nicknite

nicknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:06 AM

Ok what is the easiest/best way to do this?
:thumbsup:
Nicknite

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:13 AM

Do you have Data on both Partitions? there are programs that wil "combine" the partitions you currently have and some even rewrite the FAT so you don't lose your Data.

Hard Drive Utilites
Ranish Partition Manager - Partition resizer, create, manager similar to Partition Magic but free!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by LoLucky, 25 January 2005 - 10:39 AM.

#5 nicknite

nicknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:19 PM

Yes i believe i have data on both drives. I can backup the data to cd's and then reformat and start over. I don't have a problem with doing this i just can't seem to figure out how to reformat an existing drive which has the XP program on it. Also what is the name(s) of the programs that can combine the drives? This may become an option.
Thanks, Nicknite

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:36 AM

Do you really want to format or just consolidate the two partitions? If you want to reformat the whole drive. Run the Xp program disk. At a point it will let you delete all partitions . Then you can format them into one drive. If you really just want to combine the drives . Use Partition Magic ( or simular program) to delete the 2nd drive (partition) and then expand the 1st drive (partition) . Then run defrag to clean it up. I would recommend you leave a 1 or 2 gb Partition in case of emergancies. You could transfer info to it in the event your OS was damaged and you had to do a clean install. I have a 2nd , 3gb , HD on my computer just for this reason. Hope this helpped .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

Digital Dolly

If you want to do more there's always digital dolly, a freeware partition creator/resizer.

Digital Dolly Feature List

* Self-contained bootable CD-ROM (can also boot from floppy)
    * Built-in networking support, can access Windows file server for data storage
    * RAW mode copying support any (even unknown) file system
    * Support partition-to-partition, disk-to-disk copy
    * Non-destructive resize of existing FAT16/32, NTFS and Linux ext2 partitions
    * Support US DoD 5220-22.M Disk Sanitizing Security Standard
    * Auto tune-up hard disk parameters to maximize transfer rate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users