Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

On Tuesday I started working on a computer that had a virus on it, but I seem to have fixed that... it no longer has the system alert message at the bottom of the screen and does not have random pop-ups... however the internet no longer connects in Normal mode but it will work in safe mode with networking and in normal mode it can still connect to a server. Any thoughts on how I might get the internet back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "It can still connect to a server."?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

Oh yeah... sorry... I meant a local server if that's any help. It can't seem to go to any websites but I seem to be able to access information on my own network.

#4 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

I fixed the issue, apparently the resident shield in avast was on and stoping a connection to the internet in normal mode but since it doesn't start up in safe mode, nothing was blocking it.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:02 PM

Here are 2 non-destructive fixes that may or may not work:

1) Download and run Winsock Fix 1.2 : http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

2) Delete the network adapter driver and reboot: Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button

Under Network adapters locate yours. Right-click on the name and select Uninstall. Reboot.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for posting the solution. I am sure that someone else will benefit from your experience.

Edited by acklan, 06 July 2007 - 12:48 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users