Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aJ.

aJ.

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:11 AM

I was going to attempt to fix my grandmas' computer. The problems are:
Slow startup/restart
Slow overall performance
When downloading a file AOL will freeze(Reboot is needed.)

The computer stats are as follows(This is info on the side of computer.):
Intell Pentium 4 processor 2.66GH
120GB hard drive
256MB PC-2100DDR (exp. to 1.0GB)
DVD/CD burner with DVD+RW drive
40x max. CD-Rom drive
845 GVintell extreme graphics with max. 64mb dynamically shared memory
Four USB 2.0 Ports
Two I.link(IEEE1394) Digital interface ports

I have a spare 512mb card. The card has a sticker on it with it's stats. They follow:
MT16VDDT6464AG-265B1 PC2100U-25330-B1
US BZABSF8001 2000247
512MB, DDR, 266MHz, CL2.5

I don't know what of that was use full, but my question is. Is this card will work with this computer and will it speed the overall speed of the computer. If not could someone please advise me on the correct way of going about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:24 AM

I'll let someone else answer your RAM question, but you should check out Bleeping Computer's excellent Slow Computer Checklist.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 aJ.

aJ.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:28 AM

Yes, I know at least this much, I've all ready done these before even trying to ask for help. The computer is nearly empty about 10GB used, and no viruses, and all used AVG anti-spyware 7.5, As well opened the computer and used a compressed air can to blow all the dust away.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:35 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 aJ.

aJ.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

OK thanks, but still the computer is slow over all even with out internet it's slow.I'm sure if the "slowness" gets fixes then AOL wouldn't freeze on her when she tries to download a file.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:52 AM

If you open the Task Manager is anything eating up an excessive amount of CPU or memory? Maybe you could list a few of the processes that are using the most resources.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 aJ.

aJ.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

What is classified as excessive usage? Like firefox takes 34,000k about What would be over normal and slow down?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:15 AM

That doesn't sound excessive for FireFox. I'm more interested in CPU. Is anything taking up a lot of CPU (apart from the System Idle Process).

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

FWIW, your spare RAM module is compatible with that PC. It even happens to be the same speed (PC2100).

Keep in mind that there are more important issues that are slowing it down and should be addressed first.

#10 aJ.

aJ.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

What else is there, I've cleaned out unnecessary programs, spyware, there was no viruses, cleaned the dust out from inside, defraged. What else is there that would help speed the computer up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users