Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with AVG

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:07 PM

After many trouble-free years of AVG 6.0, I installed 7.0 about a month ago with no apparent problems. I've since downloaded perhaps a dozen updates without incident but for the last week+/- have been unable to obtain updates. I went to their forum and found a multitude of similar sounding complaints. I posted a thread about my specific experience/problem, promptly responded to a query for more details and then left for work. Returned to find that my thread had been closed without an explanation.

Looking thru their forum, it appears they are having big-time problems, perhaps with their servers. I'm curious if others in the BC community are having similar problems and if so, should we consider switching to another AV provider, either free or for fee.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:11 PM

I have been having some trouble also. I re-booted and then it went through. Can't say whether or not that is what helped. :flowers: Probably just dumb luck. :thumbsup:

What thread are you refering to?
Posted Image

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

Scarlett: I linked to both the forum and my specific thread (links appear OK when tested from here) in my first post. I've since been studying several dozen similar complaint threads in their forum (which may explain why so many, including mine, were abruptly closed) and I noted several almost-snarky comments from forum moderators to the effect that those who use the free version should not expect the service provided to the paid customers. Interesting.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:29 PM

This is typical of many responses on the AVG forum re update problems:

Re: AVG file Update Download
Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2005 04:38PM

If you've received updates in the past and are now either getting errors or incomplete downloads, then the problem will be because the update server has been overloaded. Please be patient and try your update later. Your tray icon will turn gray to indicate that AVG knows there is an update available and when you are finally able to update, it will return to normal.

The free version doesn't have access to the high bandwidth/high capacity update servers like the paid one does.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:55 PM

Yes that makes sense. It gave a message to the effect of no internet connection. I suppose it is up to all of us individualy to choose whether we decide to switch to another anti-virus. I'm going to stay put for now and wait out the storm. Do not have the time. Way to much more important matters on my mind. I can tell you though, that it did update an hour ago for me.
Posted Image

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:12 AM

No problems updating here, but I think AVG7 is not as good as AVG6.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:46 AM

I've had problems too, and a few days ago managed to get a huge update which took more than 20 minutes to d/load. (usually only a few seconds)
I'll stick with it for now, as they do update in the end, but it is very annoying. :thumbsup:
I reinstalled both AVG and my internet connection in the hopes that that would solve it, which it didn't! Reassuring to know I am not alone!

Luci2a

#8 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:45 AM

UPDATE: I was finally able to download the latest update from AVG early this AM and they also reopened my thread on their forum with an apologetic note about the "server" problem at their end. I'm gonna stick with them and hope the bugs get worked out sooner rather than later. I'm also going to try harder to remember they provide the AV service for free and that the moderators on their forum are volunteers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users