Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Won't Load?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

Ok, so there is a long stream of things that happened, however, my largest problem at the moment would be that I can only run my computer in safe mode.
Now, I have just tried to run this program to erase smitfraud-c. from my computer and I went away. When I came back, the thing had closed and I was prompted to stay in safe mode or use system restore.

The program I had run was 'SmitfraudFix' and it made another folder called 'smitRem'.
Basically I followed the directions I was given and went from scanning to going into safe mode to delete the files, or so I thought. Maybe it is a fine program, however, now I'm stuck out of the normal computer section.

So, after this is fixed, I have to deal with smitfraud and some viruses that it let dodge in (such as SystemDoctor).

ASAP help would be sooo appreciated!
I'll be trying to watch this as much as possible and refresh. Thanks again!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

The problem comes directly from the OS not working properly now, the smitfraud-c. virus thing is not wat I am worried about at the moment... So it should be in the OS section, no?

Edited by BlackWaltz, 04 July 2007 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

Ok, so I just glanced over most of the 'smitfraudfix' thread and I realisedI need to do that to fix i I guess. Is there anyway though that I can fix it without buying a new CD? Maybe download the Windows OS or something from somewhere? :/

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

Do you have restore disks of any kind?
What's the make/model of the computer? Many of the name brands like HP/Compaq have an automated restore system that can put Windows back to its factory default condition without deleting your personal data. (though that will also remove user-installed programs.)
Posted Image

#4 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:29 AM

No restore disks at all...
Emachines, T2240.

I would actually prefer the total system restart over anything else as the solution. (Of course keeping saved files would be nice.. I have some stuff from a game I'd like to enjoy keeping.. or maybe I could just host it as a file somewhere before I restart the comp..)

Well, I'll be waiting, thanks for taking notice, etc.

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:49 AM

With eMachines I believe you press F10 or F11 during the boot-up process to enter the factory recovery program.
Usually you're presented with two options:

To do a non-destructive restore which will set the operating system and all programs back to factory default and either leave the "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\" folder intact, or move it to a different location, usually C:\Mybackup or something similar. That's where all of the user data is kept, like the Desktop folder, My documents/music, Favorites, etc. So your data would be preserved, but all of your installed programs will be removed other than what the computer originally came with.

The other option is to do a restore w/ quick format, which will destroy all the data on the drive and restore all programs and settings to factory default, so Windows will be like the day you got it new.

This is probably your best option to recover Windows other than taking it to a tech with a proper Windows disk and sets of other tools to try and fix the problems manually.

EDIT: and if you do the non-destructive restore you'll want to run a virus/malware scan on the computer to remove any leftover infected files that might be still lurking. They shouldn't have their hooks in the new OS installation so it wouldn't be infected, but the infected files themselves may still be in the user folder.

Edited by arcman, 05 July 2007 - 12:52 AM.

Posted Image

#6 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

I tried the f10/f11 thing.. it goes to the boot menu. You know, the setup options of the OS itself.
Where should I go first? Rather not mess up the hardware next, ya know?

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:22 AM

Most gateways and e machines will give you the option to backup your files. When you hit the F11 key you will need the os disk provided by gateway/e machines. read the instructions carefully after you see the P C Angel splash screen. Normally, you would hit the {F11} key when given the option at the very beginning of startup, right after the e machine splash screen goes off. then you would tap the {R} key, and place the recovery (OS) disk in the top drive when called for. then you will be given the option to backup your files. The recovery program will make another folder in which all your files and settings will be saved. after that all files will be wiped except the saved folder, and then the machine will be re setup.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:41 AM

I may have not said this before (I think I did though?) but I don't have the restore disk(s). Nothing really.
ANy other way I can do it without?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:59 AM

I was looking around on the eMachines website and it appears that your model does not have a recovery partition and it should have come with recovery CDs. However, you stated that you haven't got any recovery CDs. I think that there are two options:

1. Contact eMachines and see if you can get some new recovery disks. Most of these large computer companies will send you new disks for the cost of the postage.

2. Borrow a XP CD from somewhere and do a repair install.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:13 AM

Ok, so for now I'm stuck I guess.

I need -need- a CD at the very least.

So either borrow a XP CD and use the solo (free) method.
Or take the easier one and get it mailed to me by emachines?

Till then I can run safe mode to use notepad and such at the very least.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

I know that getting the recovery discs from emachine will cost a little more than free, however, they do have all original software and drivers on them. A full restore will put the software back to where it was from the factory. On running in safe mode, some emachines came with a recovery partition and a special program to make the recovery cds. others could make a driver and application disc, normally a dvd. before you order any discs, see if that program can still be located and run in safe mode. If i remember correctly it was in the menu as pctools or emachine tools, something to do with recovery disc creator.

#12 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

How do you figure out the Windows XP registration key?

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

It is on the OEM sticker on the back or side of the computer.

#14 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

Ok I -think- I have found the XP reg key, as I borrowed the CD... it's a 25 digit number, yes?
So I should boot the compy with the CD inside and follow the directions?

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:29 AM

Does the XP disk match the sticker on the computer? ie, you must have home, MCE or Pro to match what is on the sticker. If the version does not match, do not try to use the disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users