Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Do I Have Two Msimn.exe Entries In Task Manager?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

I noticed that I have two msimn.exe entries in Task Manager (and Process Explorer) when OE is open. And when I closed OE, one stayed listed, even though the program is closed.

The PID #'s are 3408 and 628 (whatever that means). The 3408 is the one that goes away when OE is closed. The 628 one is the one that remains after the program is closed. When I reopened OE, the second entry came back, but this time the PID # was 860. The 628 one still remains.

Is this normal? If so, what's the reason for it?

Thanks, as always! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

A bit more info...

So after I restarted my computer, and opened OE, there was only one in Task Manager. I do notice that if you have OE open, then open an email, then close OE (but keep the email open), then reopen OE, a second OE shows up in Task Manager for half a second and goes away. But that doesn't explain why I had two in there yesterday and one of the wouldn't go away, even with all emails and the program closed...

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users