Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Dvd/cd Read/write Drive Has Disappeared From "my Computer"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

Hello, I have read posts in this group, and referred to M/S articles, but haven't seen this case. I bought an LG DVD/CD read/write external USB plug/play machine that came with Nero 6 OEM. The PC assigned it "J:" drive. I used it for many months and all was well. I could copy disks from the internal E: CDW/DVD.

Then I bought a flash drive (Sandisk 2 gig) and plugged it into the front USB port. (The other external drive is plugged into the back, where there are several USB ports next to the Ethernet port).

The first time I plugged in the flash drive, it "uninstalled" the J: drive. Couldn't find it in "My Computer". Also tried the install new hardware routine, with and without the installation disk. So I unplugged the flash drive, and put the DVDW/CDW external into the front port, and the PC recognized it as the J: drive and worked ok. Then Nero did an upgrade to version 6, and I made the mistake of taking the free upgrade. Now that upgrade wants me to buy drivers. So I completely uninstalled it, and reinstalled. Then the drive wouldn't work at all and LG sent me a new one : ) with the new software that wants me to pay for drivers. At $30 a pop, I just wanted my old software back. So I managed to get J: working again, although I could never get Nero to format and copy DVDs for TV like it did before the flash drive mess.

Any ideas on how I can get my J: drive recognized? It is getting power, firmly plugged in, have tried both ports. The front port will recognize the K: flash drive, but not J: anymore. When I plug it into the front port (that recognized the flash drive) I get an "Unknown device" message. I opened and closed the drawer with the install disk in it, it flashed the green light as if it were reading the disk, but the USB root hub still shows 7 unused ports, and one Unknown device.

The change in software that seems to have caused this was installing the MSN portal and Mcaffee (I know mcaffee is junk from previous experience, but it promised to help me lan my two pc's together). I really don't want to reinstall the OS, as I have not been able to properly back up (or restore) my data from previous restores. The OEM of XP wipes the disk and loses the restore points, so I have a book of backups I cannot restore.

Thanks for reading this far, I hope Ihave described the problem and someone has some ideas. Oh, it is an e-machine with XP that defines a virtual D: drive in Fat 32 and the rest NTFS. I want my programs from the '98 machine, and it has a great box with lots of slots. Maybe I can take both machines, and get the new motherboard on the old machine and just buy a real XP disk so that my Office 2000 will still work.

Thanks a bunch! :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :thumbsup:
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

I'm a little confused What "drivers" do they want you to buy and who are "they"
Mark

You upgraded from Nero's site correct? I've read that there was a spoofed site screwing things up.

Edited by garmanma, 05 July 2007 - 04:38 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

Greetings Mark!

Thanks for replying. Yes, I am referring to the Nero site as "they" and "those". I didn't know Nero got hijacked... Bummer! What was my firewall and Webroot and One Care doing???

"Nero" offered an upgrade to my OEM ver 6, and I took it. Then there were all kinds of requirements for $29.95 drivers. I did get one good run when I disconnected from the Internet, uninstalled and reinstalled my original versions. Not sure if I used CCleaner, and on the third disk, Nero stopped performing. It messed up the formats of a few of my DVD+RW disks, too. I cannot get them re-formatted.

Do you know of any software that will
1. Restore DVDs written with my writer, where the first partition got hosed by Norton? I found "Badfile" and it did convert the files that Nero can no longer recognize, and I saved it to my machine, but they want me to buy Badfile. I forgot the DVD was in the drive when I ran a scan, and it ruined my backup.
2. Format DVDs to keep them formatted for my DVD recorder/players?
3. Convert files from .wma to whatever so my ancient cd players will recognize them? I managed to create a DVD with music, but it won't play.
4. whatever other cool stuff there is I forgot about? My daughter snatched my MPG (what? those new music computers), so I have no use for those files right now, and my car isn't tooled anyway.

Thanks much, I really appreciate your reading that blurb. I have stacks of DVDs that need to be processed. And my J: drive is still MIA. It's strange that the flash drive would get a K: assignment. Like the PC knows J: is supposed to be there but just won't let me play!

Thanks again,
Joy

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:44 AM

Don't know if this will help at all, Joygreen, but I had a similar problem a few days ago. My external USB backup drive R: disappeared from the system. I went through all the usual steps such as uninstalling the drive and rebooting etc, but it still wasn't there.
In the end I simply turned off the power to the HDD and when I turned it on again, Voila. All back to normal. AAARRRGGHH. Some things are just designed to drive you crazy LOL.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

Drivers are for hardwareie supplied by the DVD player mfg. Here's a link to Deepburner. I haven't tried it but it is recommended in Bleeping's freeware thread. Give it a try. I'm positive there's something at sourceforge.net also
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the info! I do turn the machine off every night (sometimes stays off for days), so I think I have tried that suggestion? :trumpet:

I do have the install disk for the dvd burner, but since it is not recognized, the disk won't run there and I do not want to mess up the internal CDW/DVD. I think I had the settings for J: disabled for starting immediately upon inserting a disk.

I did just find a disk for "High Speed USB 2.0 PCI Card" which also says "FS-MEG-ALI-V1.0". I have another PC that I've had built and rebuilt over the years and it is still running under win 98, and the disk is probably from some iteration of USB ports there. I kept its software filed with box labels, but don't remember where this disk came from.

Would running such a USB disk on the working drive make the XP system look for hardware? I also have an icon to "safely remove hardware". Does that give y'all any ideas?

Would it be okay to run the LG disk (including Nero 6 OEM) that came with "J:" in my internal drive E: and not mess up E:'s settings?

Thank you :flowers: :thumbsup: :inlove:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users