Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Pictures, Blue Screen Of Death, And Mouse Problems.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

I have a desktop running Vista. I am not sure if this is related to my current problem but wanted to make sure it was included. Awhile ago I accidentally clicked a link on myspace and got a message stating that my pc was infected and if I followed the link on the page that the problem would be fixed and that the infection could not be removed by normal AV software. I figured that I was better off closing the page and scanning the PC. I have Macfee security suite. I updated and found nothing with a scan. Everything seemed fine but user accounts other than mine the first and only administrator have a hotkey button on the bottom toolbar. It has been at least a month and one of the users opened another myspace message(I do understand the common denominator of myspace and it is taken care of) and when the pc was turned on that afternoon it booted to the blue screen which stated an error. I finally got it to boot up. My network settings were all incorrect and I could not get online. When I finally fixed it, I logged on to my myspace account certain picture were gone. There was no indication that they ever existed just what ever was behind the picture was visible. I went to my laptop and logged on and the pictures were there. So I assume it is a problem with the desktop. I booted up later on and at one point the mouse did not work. Finally I tried a couple of restore's and nothing has helped. I felt as though I was protected and even if I was infected I took the right steps to correct it but I guess I was wrong so what do I need to do to fix this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hi raidencmc and Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Do you now have a new Icon in your system tray and what does it look like?
Or do you recall the name of the link that removed this 'infection'?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

I do not remember where the link pointed to. But after I saw the page everything was fine for a couple of weeks. I do not think that is the problem but I am not sure.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:58 PM

If you are browsing the Internet and a popup appears saying that you are infected, it is a scam that is being used to scare you into purchasing a piece of software, or disguising itself as an Anti-Spyware or security product.

For an example of these types of popups, or Foistware, you should read this article: Foistware, And how to avoid it.

Download and install; Spybot Search & Destroy.
and also;
SUPERAntispyware. Run it in Safe Mode and allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for the help. I realized that I did not have much info worth saving and just wiped it clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users