Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Holy Guacamole!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:05 PM

While disinfecting a computer for a client the other day, I thought it would be fun to take some screenshots of the action:
(Click to enlarge)

Posted ImagePosted Image

The first image is of Avast! catching stuff while Adaware was scanning. This went on for several minutes.
The second image is of Avast's Chest (quarentine) after running the scan. Each one of those is a virus, a trojan, or a worm...

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 04 July 2007 - 06:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

If that was my computer, I would cry for awhile and then it would be burned as a heretic... wow. How long did this go on until they scanned?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

The user reported that their computer hadn't "acted normally" for nearly a year. He said that he just assumed that it was wearing out and getting slower (it's only 1.5 years old!).

He had no antivirus, no antispyware, and I discovered that the Windows Firewall had been disabled. Plus, his computer was nearly always on (he tells me) and is connected not only to his office's server, but to the office's T1 line.

A case study of a hacker's dream (or a honeypot maker's ideal setup, sans security)

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

Been to a few sites he should not have been to??

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

Were there 63 infected files, total? Not good, but I've unfortunately seen worse.
I've had several client machines with infected files that went well into the tens of thousands. 60-80k at times.
Granted it was probably only 5-10 types of malware/virus infections, but to clean all that crap out you literally started the malware scan during the afternoon and let it run overnight.
Posted Image

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:26 AM

Not bad. my record on a client machine is 43, 004 (Not counting cookies)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

Haha and I thought mine was bad with a trogan and a couple of other niggly things. I would cry too!

:flowers: RE:cowsgonemad - I never visit sites I shouldn't, and I know for a fact my mother doesn't hmmmmmmm :thumbsup: Bloody internet! (I jest)
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#8 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

That happened to me once...

My computer was at the age where it didnt matter anymore so i just smashed it with a sledgehammer out back :thumbsup:

Then i vowed my life to never let an intruder back in my computer!

~Jake

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

#9 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

So how old is that age at which "it doesn't matter any more" ??

My PC is nearly 3yrs old, and acting up :| haha I opened it up today and it was dust city :thumbsup:

#10 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

my oldest one is about 10 years old now, and it is used every single day. I just picked up one Wednesday that I figure will replace it, this one is only 7 years old.

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

Been to a few sites he should not have been to??

With a computer that unprotected,

going to any site probably wasn't a good idea.

In fact, connecting to the Internet, and not going to any sites, wouldn't be a good idea, either.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#12 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

haha :thumbsup:

#13 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

So how old is that age at which "it doesn't matter any more" ??

My PC is nearly 3yrs old, and acting up :| haha I opened it up today and it was dust city :thumbsup:

It was pretty old (prob. 12 years old) ... my parents didn't have a clue bout computers so they just used it for MS WORD... Thats when i decided to start building comps so i dont have to put up with their negligence :flowers: (they are the reason my computer got infected ... I was mad!!!)

Edited by jball007, 09 July 2007 - 09:32 AM.

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users