Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Strangely Slow After Fresh Xp Install...


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 j_martin

j_martin

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

I helped a friend of mine re-install windows XP pro (with SP1). After completing the install, we re-installed the motherboard drivers, video card drivers, etc, all the latest versions downloaded from manufacturer webpages. These drivers are the only thing installed on the system right now.

He connects to the internet through a wifi connection. He has one of those USB 802.11g wireless adapters. It worked fine before we re-installed, connected with good signal strength, 11 mps (its an 802.11b network). Now we have reinstalled the driver for the wireless adapter, it still connects, same signal strength and 11 mps. However, the internet is very slow and unreliable. Although it still has a good signal, when you try to load a page in IE or FF, say google, 80% of the time it will time out and the browser will say This Page Can not be Displayed. The other 20% of the time it will load the page, although rather slowly. Signal strength and wireless connection speed are just as good as before the re-install of windows. Obviously this internet problem has prevented us from using windows update. Also, my friend has two other computers which connect through the same wifi connection and work just fine, lightning fast, and this one worked perfectly before we had to re-install.

Its a fresh install of windows with an internet connection that basically doesnt work, we have installed nothing on it besides drivers, including the USB wireless driver, so it seems extremely unlikely it could have gotten spyware or anything already, right? So what do you guyz think is wrong?

Note: we have tested the usb wireless adapter on another computer, same location/distance to access point, same driver, and it works fine. Everything else on this computer besides the internet runs really fast, games, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


m

#2 dfence

dfence

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hi J Martin, had this happen to a friend of mine, turns out that the "updated" MB driver was incorrectly selected from the manufac's website. The difference in the identification was so minor (one number) but it was related to the 10/100 card built in and the USB drivers. Did this PC come with an original MB disc ? Try installing the older version of the drivers.

Have you tried this PC with just the old original drivers ? Maybe the error is in the new drivers themselves ? Sure i agree with your logic that before the install they (drivers) all worked fine before, but eliminating possibilities might be the best way to go here.

Also you said it's on XP SP1, to save you the heartache of windows update try any local computer shop to see if they have SP2 on a disc, mine was free. Hope i've helped
I'm not as think as you drunk I am




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users