Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need laptop video assistance

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wbhendrickson

wbhendrickson

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:12 PM

One-year-old Gateway 505 laptop with Windows XP SP2 installed. Overall works great. Have been using laptop recently with a 15-pin VGA cable to an Epson LCD projector for several powerpoint presentations and it has worked fine. Now I need to also use the laptop to show a video through that same projector.

The video runs completely normally on the laptop screen. However, the projected image through the LCD is the laptop desktop view with a totally black rectangle where the video should appear. Several different DVD's were tried without success. I switched from the 15-pin cable to an S-video cable, also without help. I used a friend's Toshiba (unknown model, but also an XP machine) and tried the 15-pin cable as well as a yellow RCA-style jack, and his laptop produced the exact same results regardless of the cabling used: nada.

Seeking other video choices, I tried a few clips I had previously downloaded from inbound e-mails, no help. Then I figured I'd try to project a video directly from a website. Now that worked - both on the laptop and the projected image, with both the 15-pin and S-video connections.

So, what gives? Is DVD and/or video CD disabled for projection purposes or is it proprietary in some way. My Gateway documentation states that its video driver can support simultaneous laptop and projected display, and from the website videocast, that certainly was the case. Why would a webcast work, but not a disc?

Is there some obscure setting somewhere that I need to tweak?

Thanks for the input.

WB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wbhendrickson

wbhendrickson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:58 PM

Never mind. Problem solved.

Administrator: Please delete original post. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users