Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removal Of Virusprotectpro

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 morganF

morganF

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

Hi

I just followed the instructions in "How To Remove Virusprotectpro (removal Instructions)" (automated removal was ample :thumbsup: ) and I just peeked in my 'Taskbar and Start Menu Properties' >> (Notification Area) 'Customize' and found "VirusProtectPro 3.3" in the list of items.
I am pretty sure that the program is gone and I checked my C:\windows\system32 for the files mentioned in the manual removal guide - and they are not present. So why isn't it gone from the notification list (also a (less fortunate) camcorder-software/editor that I have uninstalled is visible).
Is there a way to 'clean' the notification area? :flowers:

Also. The "SmitfraudFix.exe" (plus a new folder generated by this program) and "FixVPP.reg" can they be deleted from the desktop without any problems? A assume this but hesitate to carry it out? (Either way, this possibly could be added to the (very thorough) guide as a final point.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

Yes, you can delete the Smitfraudfix files.
You should also check the Add/Remove program and see if the Virusprotectpro is listed there.
You can right click on the listing in the start menu and choose remove from this list.
It is also a good idea to use the program in the link below to remove any other malware and cleanup the leftovers of the Smitfraud malware.
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
You should also use the program below to clean any cookies, temporary files, logs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn off system restore. This will remove all restore points since some are infected . Turn system restore back on. Info on how to do that is in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 morganF

morganF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

Thank you buddy215.

I have to ask, though, 'where does it end'?
At the moment I have a pc that runs almost smoothly (though there is some static with IE that makes me want to follow your directions) but it seems that every software removal forces/requires a new software installation.
So if I wanted to purify (and thereby speed up, probably) my machine - how would I do that? Or is that an illusion?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

The instructions I listed are pretty much SOP. They will purify/exorcise unwanted files from your computer. The Ccleaner program should be run on EACH user account. It is very fast.
If you would like an expert opinion on what malware may still be on your computer you can post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Generally, the most common causes of a slow computer are malware, too many programs running at the same time, some security programs that run in the background, fragmented harddrive, and of course if surfing is slow, low bandwidth, like a dialup connection. There can also be hardware issues like not enough memory. Increasing memory on an older computer has a dramatic effect.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 morganF

morganF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

SOP?

I see what you mean - and it's not that I feel my computer is dragging along but the desirable concept is 'less is more'. So everytime I browse at the list of items in my program files I wonder which are expendable. Both in order to achieve a system I can estimate and understand, and to save space, and - of course - to make my OS care more about the things I want to work with rather than care about less important system/program files. And by that standard I get rid of 'Smitfraudfix' but gain 'Super Antispyware'. See what I mean?
Nonetheless - I'm gonna go for it anyway. Seems that 'SmitFraudFix' is some kind of malware itself judging by the 'Super Antispyware' site - so it'll feel cleaner and hopefully improve my browser (it crashes more often since the Virusprotectpro.com-affair).

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

SOP=Standard Operating Procedure

Once you have Ccleaner on your computer, click on tools and then click on startup. Those are the programs that load when you start your computer. If you want to speed up your startup, processing, and shutdown you can use that list to guide you to disable programs that you don't need everytime you startup. Most programs have an option in there settings to block them at startup. For instance, I have only security programs mentioned in Ccleaner list of startups. Also, a lot of programs that you may have in your list will call home at every startup supposedly to check for updates but some also report what you have been doing/viewing such as Quicktime, Real, etc.
If you are running out of HDD space you can start by checking programs listed in Add/Remove that you no longer use. Video and Music files are usually the ones that take up the most space. Decisions, Decisions.

Smitfraud is malware. Smitfraudfix is a tool used to remove Smitfraud malware.

Edited by buddy215, 05 July 2007 - 10:56 AM.

#7 morganF

morganF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:54 PM

Thanks again

Typically I missed the 'fix' part about SmitFraud. That kind of makes sense to the name (of the cleaner, that is).

I know what you mean about the add/remove programs list (and the space consuming media files) but the thing is, that many of the removed programs have a lot of left overs - and I have been using a few (freeware/tryout) registry cleaners from time to time. But still I find items that shouldn't be present - in my 'Notification Area' for example.
I'm going to run your 'guide' during saturday and hope I'll have fewer 'issues' shortly :thumbsup:

By the way - I've been using Lavasoft AdAware for a long time and I've seem it recommended many times. Are they losing their grip or is there something different about Super Antispyware's approach?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

Be very, very careful using registry cleaning programs. If you don't know what the items they are removing are, leave them.
It want affect your computer if you have several hundred left overs.

I am surprised you haven't run the Super AntiSpyware program. The longer some of these malware programs stay on your computer the more likely it is for others to get installed.

Here is some links with expert opinions on registry cleaners and other XP myths.
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t...egistry+cleaner (4 pages)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

#9 morganF

morganF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:52 AM

Hello again.

I am now a bit wiser on the subject of registry cleaners - but I'd like to state that the reason I have used them is/was to get rid of leftovers from uninstalled programs. Succes was limited though :flowers:

Since last I have followed your directions but I'm not free of annoyances, sadly. I get unwanted pop-ups when I use my browser. I have updated SUPER Antispyware files, full-scanned 2 times, run Ccleaner and removed ALL objects. Then I've run Ad-Aware (SE Personal) with the newest definitions (found 7 tracing cookies and that's it). Now I'm a bit worried again. IE still crashes once in a while and a lot of extra windows are opened frequently.
Also the list of items in "Notification Area" still include "VirusProtectPro 3.3". It's displayed only with the standard windows folder icon - not with its own icon (which it was when I got the malware). But its mere presence bugs the hell out of me (pardon my French)

What else can I do? Help me Obi-buddy215-Kenobi
:thumbsup:

Edited by morganF, 09 July 2007 - 06:08 AM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:26 AM

Smitfraudfix was updated yesterday. You can give it another try or post a Hijack This log or both. Your call.

Directions for posting a Hijack This log in the Hijack This forum. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#11 morganF

morganF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:31 AM

I read Hijack This directions, downloaded and ran Spybot. It found a few items - some of which possibly could explain my browser problems. Time will tell :thumbsup:.
About the notification area-problems: I found a way to clean it at theeldergeek and it seems to be working perfectly.

I hope VirusprotectPro and friends are now :flowers: and I'd like to thank you very much buddy215. You have been extremely patient and helpful.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users