Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 Not Booting Up After Sp4

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jenim

jenim

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

Hi BC Team -

I downloaded (from microsoft's website) and installed SP4 on a Windows 2000 machine. I think the machine restarted at the end of the sp4 installation. Since then, Windows would not boot up! It shows the "starting windows" message forever with the progress bar frozen midway. For hours on end, it remains frozen at this point.

I tried to get through "Safe Mode", but nothing happens. The only way I can get in is, via "Safe Mode with debugging". When I do it this way, I cannot uninstall SP4 because I cannot see it on the Add/Remove Programs. I hate this SP4 now and I want to get rid of it - to see if Windows will boot up normally after the uninstall.

Also I remember that I did not save some kind of back-up when it prompted me, before the SP4 install. If I had saved the back-up, I believe it would've been possible to uninstall the horrible SP4. Now I'm really worried because I share this computer with another person and don't want to get into trouble for ruining his machine.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

There's no guarantee that you are going to get out of this one, but we can try....

From the link, Service Pack 4 Permits You to Remove the Service Pack by Using the Recovery Console
Try the following...

Important The removal of SP4 from the Recovery Console is intended for emergency use only, such as after an unsuccessful SP4 installation where Windows no longer starts. For the standard removal of SP4 in Windows, use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
1. Start Windows by using the Recovery Console. To do this:
a. Start your computer with the Windows Setup floppy disks or with the Windows CD-ROM.
b. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to repair a Windows installation.
c. Press C to start the Windows Recovery Console. Type the number for the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
d. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Note If you do not have an administrator password, just press ENTER.
2. Switch to the $NTServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst folder. To do this, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
chdir $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst
Note If you archived the service pack uninstall files to a different location during SP4 Setup, navigate to that folder location.
3. Run the Spuninst.bat batch file. To do this, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
spuninst.bat >
4. When the Spuninst.bat batch file has successfully completed running, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart Windows.

Note The Spuninst.bat file only copies the archived Windows files back to their original locations. You must complete the removal of the service pack by using the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This restores the Windows registry settings that may have been changed by the service pack installation.
5. Log on to Windows.
6. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
7. In the Currently installed programs list, click Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, and then click Change/Remove.
8. Follow the steps in the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Removal Wizard to completely remove the service pack.
9. Restart the computer when you are prompted to do so.

Good-luck.

Edited by Joshuacat, 04 July 2007 - 09:42 PM.

JC

#3 jenim

jenim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:33 AM

Thanks..
I saw this link while searching for a solution before. But this suggested solution by Microsoft would not work on my machine as I did not archive or save the Windows files prior to the SP4 install, when it prompted me.

Besides, when I go to the Recovery Console, it does not let me do anything and boots up.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

Sorry for the delay in my reply back to you.

You could try a repair install. Windows 2000 Professional Repair install
JC

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

If I am not mistaken, this problem was why microsoft came up with "slipstreaming" sp's into the install cabs

People running a repair disk from the original cd after applying sp4 wouldn't be able to boot.

Run W2k as a repair disk only if you have access to a disk that includes sp4.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 jenim

jenim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

Thanks JC and Chewy for your response.

I went thro the steps to do a repair install before, from my Win 2k CD and after choosing the option for Repair, it just wouldn't do anything. The only option I had was to boot again.

Now from Chewy's post I understand why. My 2k CD does not include SP4 in it. That explains why the repair won'tt work. I don't have access to a Win2k CD with SP4. But I do have the Original Win2k CD without any SP. Now, is there any other option left for me to remove the da*n SP4 from my machine?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:47 AM

if you are staying with W2k, you could do a clean install and then apply sp4 and then load the standard hot-fixes before connecting to the internet

all this requires another computer to download from and transfer files

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLite

something like this enables you to make your own cd for a repair or a clean install

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_sp_slipstreaming.htm

afaik W2k didn't really get mature until SP4, maybe that's why they never released SP5

Edited by DaChew, 09 July 2007 - 08:48 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 jenim

jenim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:51 PM

Thank you, Chewy.
I think I may want to go with Option # 2. I'm not very sure and not too good with computers.. But this doesn't mean that my hard drive will get reformatted right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users