Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Condensers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fuse

fuse

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

Hello This is going to be strange its about cars but Im sure you all know about condensers. I have a 5V senser that I am geting a voltage spike out of and it is confusing my cars computer can i just put a condenser in the wire to help with the voltage spike?

Any respnce will be greatly apresiated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

I'm afraid I can't be of help personally, fuse, but perhaps if the question is posted in the 'Car' thread, one of the members may be able to help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic83273-45.html
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Won't the condenser store the excess voltage? Where's it going to go or discharge? I think what you need to add is a buffer circuit
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

You'd need to be a bit more specific about exactly what the issue is. What is the sensor, what/how is it connected, ect.

"Condenser" is a archaic term. It used to be a synomym for capacitor, but as used in a kettering ignition system is a series combination of capacitor and resistor. 'That' particular condenser has a specific capacitance and resistance to allow it to function properly (as a snubbing network) with the ignition coils inductance - it's not a general purpose part.

Again, depending on your specific application, a capacitor across your sensors output may or may not solve the problem you are having.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

What kind of sensor is it (ABS, Ignition timing, Cam timing, or something else)? Different sensors do different things and do and require different fixes. But it sounds like you have a short somewhere in your wiring harness (hard to tell from my house though) :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users