Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know About This?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

Hey there does anybody know what a normal good temperature is for CPU cores to be at... mine are currently somewhere around 100F or 38c rougly... Just wondering if anybody knows what the threshhold of the cores are, or wut temperature they overheat at? . Thanks in advance
~Roadblock!~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

Temps will vary alot depending upon the load and particularly the ambient temps of the room. 38C is a good idle temperature, and as a rule, you want to try to keep it below 60C.

Just be aware however, that with Dual core CPUs, the bottom Core will be between 0.5 and 3C hotter (further away from the HSF).

Regarding thresholds, I am unsure. As far as I know though, the Intel CPUs use throttling to control temps (i.e. if it is getting too hot, it will automatically downclock itself), and will often just switch off if it overheats...don't quote me on that though!

:thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

Heatsink guide.com CPU temps
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Thanks guys

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

Ya my friends was overheating at about 70C and that was way too hot resulting in it turning off the system in about a minute. I would say under 60C is good but you want to be under 50C.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users