Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Put .avi Onto Dvd-r?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

I recently bought a bunch of dvd-r's. The dvd-r's say 120min video, 4.7gb, 1-16x speed. I thought it would be a simple matter to copy and paste my .avi files onto the dvd, but nooo, it won't work. What am I supposed to do? I'm a super newbie, so please be specififc when you walk me through it, thanks.

Also, they say it's 120min video, 4.7gb capacity. Does that mean if I put 120 mins worth of video on the dvd, I can't put any more on there regardless of how much space is left?
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

See if one of these articles will help:
Basic Guide How to Convert AVI Files to DVD with Avi2DVD
Basic AVI to DVD conversion using TMPGEnc+ (including Audio Sync Correction)

If one of those 2 aren't acceptable, here's a list of 53 guides, with most using freeware.
Take your pick. :thumbsup:
AVI to DVD
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:38 AM

Thanks TG, but I'm a complete newbie. I have no programs for conversion. The ones I tried, didn't work for some reason like non-standard framerate. The .avi files are various ripped shows and movies I downloaded. All I want to do, is put these .avi files on some dvd-r discs to clear up some space so that when I want, I can put them in and watch them on my laptop. I don't care about getting it to work on a dvd player, I just want to clear up space.

What is the simplest way to do this?

Edited by solaris32, 04 July 2007 - 04:39 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:11 AM

You should just be able to burn them, as a data disk.
The same as you do, when you back up your personal information.
Then, if they play on your computer now, they should play from the disk.

What burning software do you use?

Edited by tg1911, 04 July 2007 - 07:14 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

I don't have burning software that I'm aware of lol. I know NOTHING.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

The 120 min refer to if you make a video DVD for DVD-players. If all you want to do is make a data DVD then only the 4.7GB matters. Just use a burning program, like DeepBurner, to burn the files to the DVD.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

Thanks Alpha. Right now I am making a data disc with some of those files. It's going to probably take 30 mins or so. I will update if it actually worked.

update: you da man Alpha! It worked! Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

Edited by solaris32, 04 July 2007 - 08:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users