Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dont Know Good Computer To Buy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CJT

CJT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

okay, I'm looking for a computer in the 500-700 dollar price range. My question is should I buy a laptop or a desktop? Also, what brand should I get? I am going to use the computer for schoolwork and also 3d games, so I don't know if it should have vista or xp. I could use all the information I can get, please help.
Thanks in advance
oh yea I would prefer to have a desktop, although if someone tells me otherwise i'll listen

Edited by CJT, 03 July 2007 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

You pay more for the privelege of being able to carry around your computer, so in general you won't get as much power in a laptop as you will in a desktop for the same amount of money, and since you mentioned gaming, you'll need that additional capability.

If the programs you plan to use will run on Vista (not Vista Basic), then I'd go with it.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

I'd suggest talking to the folks at your local BestBuy, Circuit City, or CompUSA in order to help make a decision - then look at the discount houses like WalMart and Target to get the computer at a less expensive price. You can also try shopping online for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

I can't give you any good advice on the hardware... but do NOT go with Vista, whatever you do. Vista is notorious for running slow, hardware driver problems, and DRM. Don't use it.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:05 AM

Y'know, the Vista hype that I've seen is over-rated. Vista is (IMO) a step up from XP - more stable, more forgiving, more intelligent, more secure, and it has much better troubleshooting tools. The issues that most people refer to are issues caused by having incompatible software/drivers installed.

Although there are other issues that you'll find with Vista (as with any OS), they pale in comparison to the debacles that XP has been through.

Vista doesn't run slow unless you give it slow hardware.
Vista doesn't have hardware driver problems - the problems are primarily caused by forcing the installation of hardware that isn't Vista compatible.
Vista doesn't have issues with DRM - rather there are issues with those who want to pirate stuff.

I've used Vista since January of 2006 with great success - it'll do whatever I ask it to, and it'll give it it's best try to ensure that it works. For example, I installed a Hauppage PVR-250 video capture card in my system. Although Vista doesn't have the drivers for it, it asked nicely if I'd let it go out on the web to look for drivers. I said "OK". So off it went, found them, told me it was installing them, and informed me (when it was done) that I could now use my video capture card. Try doing that with XP!

I run Vista Ultimate on a Toshiba M35 laptop (in addition to my Desktop system and all the work systems). I first ran it with only 512 mB of RAM and was still able to get acceptable performance. After upgrading to 1 gB of RAM, it'll do almost anything that I ask (I disabled the Aero stuff because I don't like it).

I've only had 3 issues with Vista in the last 18 months:
1) BSOD for networking in the early Beta days. Worked with Microsoft to fix it and it hasn't returned.
2) ISP's with outdated hardware not supporting IPv6 or the recently enabled DHCP Broadcast Flag
3) Corrupt Vista install when the laptop battery dies several times. With only 1 loss of battery power, Vista will install fine - but with 3 losses of battery power (cross-country flights), Vista wouldn't install. Easily fixed once I got to a source of AC power.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users