Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help......dodgy Hdd Maybe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Parksy

Parksy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:31 PM

Hiya peeps, this is my first post on a forum site, so im learning lol

Here goes.....Have had a pc, win XP ser 2, 1gb ram, running fine coming upto 2 years now. I was downloading a large file (almost 7gb) when i tried cancelling the download. The computer hung.......so naturally i restarted, as not even ctrl-alt-del worked. Once pc tried to re-boot the motherboard cannot find the hdd!! I changed sata position, checked bios, that couldn't find it, loaded fail safe defaults, no joy. Even shift-f12, that cudnt find hard drive.........

So is this the end for my nice hdd.........should i really have backed up lol

Any help would be much appreciated...........

Parksy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

Do you have another computer you can hook this drive up as a slave to?

If not...can you try the secondary channel, make sure your CD-ROM is set to slave, and the HD is set to Master on their jumper settings?

Oh, and welcome to Bleeping Computer by the way!

Edited by jwinathome, 03 July 2007 - 12:35 PM.

#3 Parksy

Parksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Blimey thanks for such a quick reply!!! Gonna be taking it to a friends at the weekend to try it.....

The jumpers r the same as they been for ages, defo master hdd and slave cd-rom. When first fires up, cd-rom is checked, then cant find the hard drive so tries to boot from net. I have changed it round in the bios but nothing is found on the positions for hdd.

Perhaps old age creeps up on electrics as well as us humans LOL

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

Blimey thanks for such a quick reply!!! Gonna be taking it to a friends at the weekend to try it.....

The jumpers r the same as they been for ages, defo master hdd and slave cd-rom. When first fires up, cd-rom is checked, then cant find the hard drive so tries to boot from net. I have changed it round in the bios but nothing is found on the positions for hdd.

Perhaps old age creeps up on electrics as well as us humans LOL

It sounds as though it might be a bad controller. Especially if the drive works on another computer.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

As per your question should you have really backed up the drive. It is always a good choice to back up your drive you never know when the HDD will fail, and it never fails the one time you forget to back up the drive it takes a crap on you. Best to err on the side of caution.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users