Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

80 Pin Scsis

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hi,

If anyone that has a little experience in the SCSI area could shed the light of their wisdom on my situation I would greatly appreciate it. Here is what it is.

I got a 78 gig 80 pin SCSI hard drive off of eBay for $20.00. It's been working great. Only it was my first 80 pin SCSI hard drive and I had know idea what state it was really in when I got it. Apparently, and this is where you probably have to have some familiarity with 80 pin drives, one of the "Ears" on the side of the 80 pin terminal on the hard drive was broken from the get go, it was lose and dangling like a severed limb. Only I had know idea at the time that there was anything wrong with it being my first 80 pinner.

Anyhow, as the story goes it has completely severed itself from the hard drive and has made the hard drive unusable.

So, my question is:

"Does anyone know how to fix this on the hard drive without purchasing a new hard drive? - Can the 80 pin terminal on the hard drive be replaced? And if it can, how does one go about doing this?

"Where would one go to get a replacement part and how would one go about replacing it?"

So, if your familiar with 80 pin drives then you should know what I'm talking about. However, if you are familiar but don't understand what I'm asking please leave a comment to ask me what you need to know to understand what I'm asking.

I'm presently using a 9 gig SCSI older hard drive that I was using before hopefully just for a temporary substitute. Much less functionality and programing and more noise.

I really need to get the 78 gig back online to get to all my current files.

I'd really appreciate anyones expert help. Thanks!

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Hello

I have been using scsi systems for years; my present system has 4 ultra 320mb/s drives in it plus a scsi cd-rom writer

please give us a digital picture if you can of the broken component of which you refer

thanks

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hi Linderman,

I hope that you had a great 4th of July. But sense it's the day after I guess we'll get down to business.

Please check out my pictures of my broken SCSI HD terminal on Yahoo!'s flickr .

It is the right side "ear" like thing for lack of better description of it on the Hard Drive back end terminal that has completely broken off.

It does have serve as part of the electrical power source for the functioning of the Hard Drive.

Sense it broke off and there is no more power going through it any more the Hard Drive is basically useless unless it can be fixed.

I'm hoping that someone here, maybe like you can help me do that?

What do you think? Have you looked at the photos of it?

I'm a waiting your wise response.

Thanks.

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users