Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Question Regarding Reformatting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frankie Knuckles

Frankie Knuckles

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:51 AM

Hi

I'm trying to reformat the computer as it's in a bit of a mess and I think it's probably time to do it.

Previously when I did this, I had a partition on the HDD with a recovery section and an option in the Start menu to restore to factory settings.

However, my computer went into be fixed about a year ago now and the guys made a mess of it and ended up having to reformat the drive then for me. Unfortunately, he deleted this partition and with it, the option in my Start menu to restore to factory settings.

I have a recovery disc I made when I got the computer, but am not sure what I'm doing with this. I also have no Windows disc as it came pre-installed. The remainder of my drivers I can get off the internet so I'm not fussed about that.

Is there anyway I can do a reformat or do I need either A) a valid copy of Windows or B ) to take it back to a different computer shop as the one I originally went to has gone bust since?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Frankie

Edited by Frankie Knuckles, 03 July 2007 - 05:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

Is your recovery disc an image of Windows? If so, you can reinstall from that. (Unless you are just talking about a boot up disk or something.)

Otherwise, yes you will need a valid copy of Windows. What kind of computer do you have? You could probably borrow someone else's Windows disk (must be the same version as yours) and use the Windows license that came with your computer.

#3 Frankie Knuckles

Frankie Knuckles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

Well it turned out my recovery disc was corrupted as well, so I went down the easiest route available and just bought a new computer. It was probably about time for it anyway as the old one was a bit of a dinosaur.

Thanks for your input though Jwin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users