Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Anti-virus Program?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nixx

nixx

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:28 AM

hello.

i would just like to ask what is the best anti-virus software out there. i'd like something that's easy to use since i don't really know much about computer stuff, something that doesn't take up much space and something that's not a memory hog.
suggestions would be cool. thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:34 AM

I'm currently using the freeware version of AVG Anti-Virus. I'm not going to say it's the best, but I like it and it's free.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

hello.

i would just like to ask what is the best anti-virus software out there. i'd like something that's easy to use since i don't really know much about computer stuff, something that doesn't take up much space and something that's not a memory hog.
suggestions would be cool. thanks :thumbsup:

Are we talking about free Antivirus tools?

#4 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

nope, antivirus you have to pay for, anyway my mum's paying for it. lol

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:14 AM

OK, if you want a PAID version, here you go.

If you want a standalone antivirus (without a firewall) I would recommend either:

Kaspersky Antivirus 6 (the best one out there, but expensive)
Bitdefender Antivirus 10
Norton Antivirus 2007*

*Note that Norton is notorious for system drag and uninstall problems, but I've read that the 2007 version is lighter than 2006. It DOES do it's job quite well and have been around for a while.* Many of the expert reviews on the web give Norton high marks.

If you're looking for an all-in-one security suite (antivirus, firewall, anti-spam, etc.) you can't beat ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. Make sure you get version 7 as this version uses the Kaspersky engine for it's antivirus component (a good thing, see above). If you have Windows Vista, use the newest ver. 7.1. If you only have XP, use 7.0 You can use it FREE for 15 days, fully functional, without obligation.

Norton Internet Security Suite 2007 also received very high marks out there from reputable reviews, but the average user has complained more about this company than any other. You make the choice. :flowers:

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#6 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

alrighty, ill go check em out. thanks :D

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

For paid service I may recommend Kaspersky or NOD32
But have you looked and tried aany of these
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

I'd say BitDefender.

#9 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

i recomend NOD32. realy good antivirus. Also Kaspersky and McAfee are good.

#10 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

I'll second NOD32, i've had it for 4 months now and will never regreat buying this :thumbsup:... Works like a charm and not a resource muncher

#11 chaoster

chaoster

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

I would say avg internet security is the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users