Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor French Fries May Never Be The Same ...

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

I've lost my 'source' link but apparently New York has become the first city in the States to ban the use of trans-fat in restaurants.
(Apparently trans-fats are linked to heart disease and clogged arteries, etc).

I could be wrong but wouldn't it have been easier to mandate a tiny amount of modified palm and palm kernel oil to added to the liquid vegetable oil in the factory as by doing this I think it turns it 'trans fatty acid free'. Sort of alone the same line as governments mandated iodine be added to most table salts to help prevent 'goiter'.

Honestly didn't know that the USA's Constitution actually gave the government power to do things like this - just hope they - nor our Canadian government - decide that steaks, weiners, sausages etc should be banned too. :thumbsup:
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

The fact is people never used to be fat and have heat disease. I look at it as a its for your own good thing. Since some people have no sense of their own(knowledge its bad for health) to put down the fries and step away ha ha. Its like chips you eat one and you want more and more and more even if you do know they are bad for you.

I dont think or know if we should allow things like this to be mandated by the government but if we can cut obesity and heart disease think of the savings in health care!

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

I said years ago when they were taking away the right to smoke, I don't smoke, that the next thing you know they will start discriminating against overwieght people, and where will they go next? Years ago, in the '80's, the anti smoking started. The same people who "could not breathe" when somebody lit up a cigarette were in the smoky bars till closing time. Did'nt seem to bother them there. But it spread, now you can barely smoke anywhere.

So, what now? Let's go after overwieght people! Who cares if the food tastes bad. The people overeat, there for it must be in the way the food is cooked! Where will they go next? I'm betting it will be more penalties for being overweight, probably something like losing your job, or your health insurance...... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:29 AM

I've lost my 'source' link but apparently New York has become the first city in the States to ban the use of trans-fat in restaurants.
(Apparently trans-fats are linked to heart disease and clogged arteries, etc).

I could be wrong but wouldn't it have been easier to mandate a tiny amount of modified palm and palm kernel oil to added to the liquid vegetable oil in the factory as by doing this I think it turns it 'trans fatty acid free'. Sort of alone the same line as governments mandated iodine be added to most table salts to help prevent 'goiter'.

Honestly didn't know that the USA's Constitution actually gave the government power to do things like this - just hope they - nor our Canadian government - decide that steaks, weiners, sausages etc should be banned too. :thumbsup:

It was the New York City Board of Health that adopted the ban on the use of artificial trans fats in restaurant cooking, this has nothing directly to do with the Constitution.

Trans fats were introduced in the food industry to replace saturated fats that were worse for you, and palm and palm kernel oil are two of the specific ones they wanted replaced. If you are interested in a good article go here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:35 AM

I said years ago when they were taking away the right to smoke, I don't smoke, that the next thing you know they will start discriminating against overwieght people, and where will they go next? Years ago, in the '80's, the anti smoking started. The same people who "could not breathe" when somebody lit up a cigarette were in the smoky bars till closing time. Did'nt seem to bother them there. But it spread, now you can barely smoke anywhere.

So, what now? Let's go after overwieght people! Who cares if the food tastes bad. The people overeat, there for it must be in the way the food is cooked! Where will they go next? I'm betting it will be more penalties for being overweight, probably something like losing your job, or your health insurance...... :flowers:

I don't understand why you are complaining because someone wants you to live longer and healthier. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:59 AM

Not actually 'complaining' per se :thumbsup: Nope, that's not true - think I just told a giant sized fib!

I think my disgruntlement comes from being surprised that our government(s) has/have the authority to make decisions on everyone's behalf when it comes to what we eat. I'm the first to agree that in general people seem to have forgotten what we eat counts - but if it's for people's health protection, what about all the pop (soda) and a zillion other things we seem to think forms part of a 'normal' diet.

Fats aren't good for us - but education helps. Apples are good for us - but an education helps us realize that the acids from eating fresh fruit does our poor tooth enamel no good whatsoever. So many things. All important, I know.

Seems silly I guess, but I always worry a tiny bit when our government starts deciding more and more what is 'good for us' and what we can or cannot do.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:01 AM

I don't understand why you are complaining because someone wants you to live longer and healthier.

I'm not againt them "wanting me to live longer and healthier". I am against them forcing it on me. I don't see them trying to eliminate alcohol, it will kill you a lot quicker than smoke or fat, especially if the guy driving the car toward you has had to much of it (alcohol). Oriental food for some reason makes me sick. Physicaly sick, should I force the rest of the nation to not cook or eat it? It's bad for my health.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 03 July 2007 - 01:02 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

Yes, I understand the frustration - gentle smile.

And sadly, already apparently there is enormous penalties for being overweight. A friend who works for a medical firm in North Carolina mentioned that it doesn't seem to matter if someone has wonderfully healthy organs, including heart and lungs, etc - if they are overweight they are highly likely to be turned down for medical coverage.

While I do understand that overweight can be unhealthy, being judged for simply being overweight is not right. I sometimes think that what my friend says is true - that overweight people are the 'last minority' that others can taunt and discriminate against - freely!

No smoking (even in the middle of a public park with no one else around and the wind blowing) - but drink to your heart's content. Okay, 'public park' but apparently some are pushing the government to put a law into effect that one cannot smoke in one's own home at any time. Egad.

No peanut butter allowed in schools anymore - it's the law here. Yes, some children are allergic to nuts. But some parents can honestly not afford to provide their children with any other form of protein in lunches. I often wish that the law had been written to ensure all children with allergies simply eat in one classroom - and all other children can have their lunches separately and ensure each washes their hands thoroughly before leaving the room.

So many laws. All enacted with the best intentions, I'm sure. but I must say I truly agree, Wildabeast - having our governments force things upon us is a tad scary.

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:53 AM

Many of our foods here still contain Trans-Fats,which are a threat to our health.I notice if for example I eat sandwiches with heaps of Margarine on,some time later,for about 30mins or so,my vision of the monitor text is blurred.I have run this test many times and I am convinced it's theTrans-Fats causing this.I'm no expert, but I think the Trans-Fats are restricting the microscopic blood vessels to the eyes,for a period of time.Could be wrong. Here is an interesting link on Trans-Fats. :thumbsup:

http://www.bantransfats.com/

Edited by DSTM, 03 July 2007 - 02:25 AM.

#10 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:20 AM

Many of our foods here still contain Trans-Fats,which are a threat to our health.I notice if for example I eat sandwiches with heaps of Margarine on,some time later,for about 30mins or so,my vision of the monitor text is blurred.I have run this test many times and I am convinced it's theTrans-Fats causing this.I'm no expert, but I think the Trans-Fats are restricting the microscopic blood vessels to the eyes,for a period of time.Could be wrong. Here is an interesting link on Trans-Fats. :trumpet:

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Maybe you're just getting sleepy from eating all that "heaps" of food..
Ronald Reagan

#11 jedi

jedi

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

having our governments force things upon us is a tad scary.

Here in the UK you risk having your child taken away from you for being overweight:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6749037.stm

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

Many of our foods here still contain Trans-Fats,which are a threat to our health.I notice if for example I eat sandwiches with heaps of Margarine on,some time later,for about 30mins or so,my vision of the monitor text is blurred.I have run this test many times and I am convinced it's theTrans-Fats causing this.I'm no expert, but I think the Trans-Fats are restricting the microscopic blood vessels to the eyes,for a period of time.Could be wrong. Here is an interesting link on Trans-Fats. :inlove:

:flowers: :trumpet:

Maybe you're just getting sleepy from eating all that "heaps" of food..

And I have been blaming the Margarine,all along. :cool:

PM.'Wilderbeast' What's your thoughts on the C331, to go with the S7? :thumbsup:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z13484/...SC/default.aspx

#13 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:55 AM

Not actually 'complaining' per se :thumbsup: Nope, that's not true - think I just told a giant sized fib!

I think my disgruntlement comes from being surprised that our government(s) has/have the authority to make decisions on everyone's behalf when it comes to what we eat. I'm the first to agree that in general people seem to have forgotten what we eat counts - but if it's for people's health protection, what about all the pop (soda) and a zillion other things we seem to think forms part of a 'normal' diet.

Fats aren't good for us - but education helps. Apples are good for us - but an education helps us realize that the acids from eating fresh fruit does our poor tooth enamel no good whatsoever. So many things. All important, I know.

Seems silly I guess, but I always worry a tiny bit when our government starts deciding more and more what is 'good for us' and what we can or cannot do.

If the government removed all restrictions...would it be okay for everyone to eat cats and dogs...in your opinion?

#14 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

So many laws. All enacted with the best intentions, I'm sure. but I must say I truly agree, Wildabeast - having our governments force things upon us is a tad scary.

I can honestly say that the root of the problem seems to be trial lawyers....(a.k.a "ambulance chasers") like John Edwards.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:05 AM

If the government removed all restrictions...would it be okay for everyone to eat cats and dogs...in your opinion?

Is eating cats and dogs illegal in the USA?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users