Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam/vista/msn

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 garba

garba

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

Hi all..

im garba from Brisbane,Australia. And I have a few questions for someone answer...

A month ago I bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite A200 notebook woth Vista Basic.... I thought I was gonna be better than my previous notebook (Acer Aspire with XP) but sometimes I am so VERY wrong...

I did all the usuall install/verify software thing and I downloaded Windows Live Messenger (msn messenger doesnt seem to exist anymore :huh: ). Anyways, one night I decided to test out my new webcam on the top of the screen. Now me being new to the whole webcam era, i thought it was quite neat untill I went to use the next night. I proceeded to setup my webcam and it came up with a file is missing, Windows cannot install this software...

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??? :huh: I hadnt touched any settings or deleted any files, and all of a sudden my webcam is gone... it still recognises it when i click on find software but it refuses to install the webcam...

another question ive got is that when i bought this notebook it came with no software cd's only a few bits of paper explaining how to use it and plug it in (might be different in the US), I went to Toshiba here in Brisbane, and (they just gave me a card for some dude that fixes them). Im not going to pay someone to answer my question when someone on here could help me. Is there any website I could go to to get a full manual on how to use this thing?

Thanks
garba

p.s IE7 is crap on vista is firefox better?

Edited by garba, 02 July 2007 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

All the new Toshiba's that we sell here in the US come with a Restore DVD in the box. I'd check with Toshiba and the reseller to see what happened (the restore DVD is probably the handiest tool that Toshiba has - it's able to restore your system to factory state in about 20 minutes). After that, it's a matter of using the built in menus to find out the information on the features of the PC (check the Start Menu for Toshiba information and Windows information).

Firefox will work a bit better than IE7 on Vista, but I suspect that the issue is more with your RAM than it is with Vista or the browser. Typically, Home Basic PC's come with a limited amount of RAM (usually 512 mB) - just as the first XP machines came with 128 mB. It doesn't take long for that to become clogged with running programs and slow down to a snail's pace. I'd suggest a minimum of 1 gB with 2 gB being the sweet spot.

You can also tweak the laptop to help things out. Here's the 2 tweaks that I like to do to all my computers:
1) Right click on the Desktop, select Personalize, then Display settings, then set the color level to Medium
2) Click on the Windows Orb (formerly known as the Start button) and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the Advanced tab, then on the Performance Settings button. In the next window, select "Adjust for best performance"

This seems to help out slower laptops a bit - but the RAM upgrade is the definitive cure. I also suspect that Vista will become bloated over time as XP did (does) - so more RAM is essential.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users