Installed Wyzo this morning, to test drive it.
Here are some of my thoughts, so far.Themes/Skin:
The ugliest orange color, I've seen.
Orange, is just not my color.
At the present, there is only the default orange theme.
I don't know if more skins are in the works, but I hope so.
Haven't tried a Ff theme, yet, to see if those will work.Tabs:
The tab functions work the same, as they do in Ff.
They are a little hard to see, due to the lack of contrast in the default theme.
Different themes, should help alleviate this problemToolbars:
The toolbars have the same functionality, as in Ff
They are customized the same way (drag and drop).Options Menu:
All of the Options, are the same, except for slight cosmetic differences.
In fact, if it wouldn't be for the orange, and yellow colors used, you might think you were using Ff.about:config:
about:config can be accessed the same, as in Ff.
All the settings look identical, and can be customized the same as Ff, including pipelining.
I've made several of the changes that I use in Ff, and they work flawlessly.
The changes I made were:
1. enabled pipelining (this did improve browser speed)
2. removed the close tab "x" from the individual tabs, and moved it to the end of the tab bar
3. stopped the tabs from scrolling, when several are opened at once
4. turned on spell-checking in the input fields, as well as the text areas
5. disabled link prefetching
6. disabled tool tips
7. disabled the "Download Complete" notification
8. forced all popup windows which open up, to have a close button
9. force all popup windows which open up, to be re-sizable
10. reduced the maximum number of popup windows, able to open at once (20)
, to 4
11. changed the default Google search, when searching for a word from the address bar, from the "I'm Feeling Lucky" search, to the standard search
12. changed the selection behavior when you double-click on a word, to highlight just the word, instead of the word and the white space, to the right of itAdd-ons (extensions):
Wyzo doesn't have any extensions available on their site, yet, but there are supposed to be some coming.
Since it is built on the Ff core, I tried a couple of Ff extensions.
I got CoLT
to install, and as of right now, it is functioning perfectly.
I also got BBCodeXtra
to install, and work as expected.
I installed McAfee Siteadvisor
Functionality was limited, until I allowed cookies for McAfee.
It would give the ratings for individual sites on a Google search page, and display the appropriate color code in the Status Bar, for individually loaded pages.
The problem came when you tried to view the site's details.
The detail page would not load.
McAfee loads 2 cookies.
The only one you have to allow, for the detail page to load, is siteadvisor.com
Once you allow that cookie, it functions just like it does in Ff.
Of the ones I tried, only one failed to install.
The failed install was, Tabs Open Relative
The reason for not installing, was that is was not compatible with the newest version of Wyzo, only older versions.
Wyzo comes with 2 add-ons pre-installed.
One is FireTorrent
, which is a BitTorrent plugin.
This plug-in is also available, for Ff.
The other add-on, which was a concern, is SearchStatus (Alexa), which is part of amazon.com, and tracks your every movement, and site, for page ranking purposes.
This can be disabled in the Add-ons menu, which I did.
After installing, and using Wyzo, I ran Ad-aware, and Spybot, and neither found any problems.Browsing speed:
For me, it seems to be a little faster than Ff, especially when loading images.Final thoughts:
If you use Firefox (Ff)
, you won't find a whole lot of difference, using Wyzo.
I'm going to continue playing with it, and see if I can get other themes to work (hate that orange
If I could get all the add-ons I like, to work, and a different theme, I might think about switching over, just for the speed increase.
But, until those problems are worked out, I won't be switching over to Wyzo, just yet.