Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wyzo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 craigmb

craigmb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

i was wondering what your suggestions where on wyzo if it's good or bad for my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

This is the first I've heard of it.
Looks interesting. though.
I like the fact, that it's built on the Firefox core.

It's only a 596 KB download.
I might have to try it out. :thumbsup:

For any other's interested in checking it out, here's a link:
Wyzo Browser

Edited by tg1911, 02 July 2007 - 10:43 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

I think its newness makes it both interesting, but suggests some caution, especially in the area of user support and the ability to issue security patches promptly. I also question how a 596Kb download, even if very tightly coded, can match the features found in either Ff or Opera.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

Installed Wyzo this morning, to test drive it.
Here are some of my thoughts, so far.

Themes/Skin:
The ugliest orange color, I've seen.
Orange, is just not my color. :thumbsup:
At the present, there is only the default orange theme.
I don't know if more skins are in the works, but I hope so.
Haven't tried a Ff theme, yet, to see if those will work.

Tabs:
The tab functions work the same, as they do in Ff.
They are a little hard to see, due to the lack of contrast in the default theme.
Different themes, should help alleviate this problem

Toolbars:
The toolbars have the same functionality, as in Ff
They are customized the same way (drag and drop).

Options Menu:
All of the Options, are the same, except for slight cosmetic differences.
In fact, if it wouldn't be for the orange, and yellow colors used, you might think you were using Ff.

about:config:
about:config can be accessed the same, as in Ff.
All the settings look identical, and can be customized the same as Ff, including pipelining.
I've made several of the changes that I use in Ff, and they work flawlessly.
The changes I made were:
1. enabled pipelining (this did improve browser speed)
2. removed the close tab "x" from the individual tabs, and moved it to the end of the tab bar
3. stopped the tabs from scrolling, when several are opened at once
4. turned on spell-checking in the input fields, as well as the text areas
5. disabled link prefetching
6. disabled tool tips
7. disabled the "Download Complete" notification
8. forced all popup windows which open up, to have a close button
9. force all popup windows which open up, to be re-sizable
10. reduced the maximum number of popup windows, able to open at once (20), to 4
11. changed the default Google search, when searching for a word from the address bar, from the "I'm Feeling Lucky" search, to the standard search
12. changed the selection behavior when you double-click on a word, to highlight just the word, instead of the word and the white space, to the right of it

Add-ons (extensions):
Wyzo doesn't have any extensions available on their site, yet, but there are supposed to be some coming.
Since it is built on the Ff core, I tried a couple of Ff extensions.

I got CoLT to install, and as of right now, it is functioning perfectly.
I also got BBCodeXtra to install, and work as expected.

I installed McAfee Siteadvisor, also.
Functionality was limited, until I allowed cookies for McAfee.
It would give the ratings for individual sites on a Google search page, and display the appropriate color code in the Status Bar, for individually loaded pages.
The problem came when you tried to view the site's details.
The detail page would not load.
McAfee loads 2 cookies.
The only one you have to allow, for the detail page to load, is siteadvisor.com.
Once you allow that cookie, it functions just like it does in Ff.

Of the ones I tried, only one failed to install.
The failed install was, Tabs Open Relative .
The reason for not installing, was that is was not compatible with the newest version of Wyzo, only older versions.

Wyzo comes with 2 add-ons pre-installed.
One is FireTorrent, which is a BitTorrent plugin.
This plug-in is also available, for Ff.

The other add-on, which was a concern, is SearchStatus (Alexa), which is part of amazon.com, and tracks your every movement, and site, for page ranking purposes.
This can be disabled in the Add-ons menu, which I did.
After installing, and using Wyzo, I ran Ad-aware, and Spybot, and neither found any problems.

Browsing speed:
For me, it seems to be a little faster than Ff, especially when loading images.

Final thoughts:
If you use Firefox (Ff), you won't find a whole lot of difference, using Wyzo.
I'm going to continue playing with it, and see if I can get other themes to work (hate that orange :flowers:).
If I could get all the add-ons I like, to work, and a different theme, I might think about switching over, just for the speed increase.
But, until those problems are worked out, I won't be switching over to Wyzo, just yet.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

Update on the above review:

I installed Firefox's Black Fiber theme, in Wyzo, and so far I haven't had any problems.
It's a good looking theme, too.
Beats the heck out of orange. :thumbsup:

I've also installed the BlackJapanMAX theme, but haven't tried it out, yet.
That's one of tomorrow's projects.
I'll post, how it works out.

Edited by tg1911, 03 July 2007 - 11:37 PM.

#6 craigmb

craigmb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

it's not bad i've been using it for about a month now. it work flawlessly for the first few weeks unless i downloaded updates now sometime it ends up not responsive before it even load a page. sometimes it take me 3or4 time to finally open up but once open it work with no problems. i new it was a new program so i figured i would see if ppl have heard of it and what they thought of it.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

I know Firefox sometimes gives people problem, when they update through the browser.
Since Wyzo uses the Firefox core, it stands to reason, that it could have some of the same issues, as Firefox.
Try uninstalling Wyzo, downloading the latest version, and doing a fresh install.

Update on the theme testing:
The BlackJapanMAX theme has been working all day, without any issues, so far. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 04 July 2007 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users