Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple's Iphone

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

It appears that Apple believes in procreation and is now going to practice it with their new iPhone customers. Not only is it going to cost $500.00 just to get it out of the store, you will then have to sign a two year contract with AT&T of which there is no optional carrier. Now that you have spent all the money you better hope that your battery doesn't die a day after its' one year warranty because the battery is soldered to the main board and will cost about $85.00 to replace. Oh wait, they are going to sell a one year extended warranty for $69.00. Thank you Apple. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,256 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

I just don't understand it all...

I'm as big a technophile as you'll ever find, but I will never, ever spend $500 for a phone. That's just ridiculous!

I'm perfectly happy with my $30 cell phone and my $25 MP3 player.

What is it about the "iWhatever" that makes ordinary people turn into wriggling consumer puppets?

Arrrgghh!!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

In part it's the fact that there are those that have enough money that they can afford to be the first on their block to buy one and thus have the bragging rights, and then there are the ones that just think it's the best new invention since sliced bread. Personally I believe that each person who buys one should be required to have lolly-pop tattooed to their forehead.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

No offense to any buyers out there, but I just don't want to waste my money on the iPhone. It's going to drop to $300 in a year and I'll bet you some newer version of it comes out after a month.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 02 July 2007 - 09:37 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

It's a symptom of ihead disease. Stems from long term untreated mac-itis.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

I really think these people have problems when they say Apple anything is better. If you've never opened your case or at least don't know the crucial parts of a computer, you don't belong here :thumbsup: JK guys ur all great but really Apple = hype waste of money

Edited by Ryan 3000, 02 July 2007 - 09:38 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

Plus the plans costs like 1,600-2,400 a year! I think they are only on the 69.95 and above plan?

Okay so if you have the money and want/need it then you can get it.

I am a tight wad sorta. I save for big things like this.

I do not like the iphone. I always said when I was younger if I got a phone it would be one of those expensive do it all phones the PDA phones.

I never have gotten a cell phone. I do now plan to buy a treo and test it out. I wont be paying no 500 dollars though it does retail for over 600.

Do I need a treo? No not really I dont even "need" a cell but I could use it for many things so I want the phone.

Has anyone else read the reviews of the poor call quality on the thing? If apple ever wants to sell this thing they better unlock it for other GSM cell companies and even the cdma companies like verizon and alltel. I read people are hacking it now in hopes to get if to work on other GSM companies.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:04 AM

This could come back to bite Apple in a big way. It will be interesting to see who will be the first company to replicate these features in a product of their own, and you can be sure that it will not lock itself into a single carrier.

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:19 AM

This could come back to bite Apple in a big way. It will be interesting to see who will be the first company to replicate these features in a product of their own, and you can be sure that it will not lock itself into a single carrier.

And it will cost less, be on a faster network, have open architecture allowing the addition of more programs, and allow more flexibility with the music it plays, among other things.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#10 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

Has anyone else read the reviews of the poor call quality on the thing? If apple ever wants to sell this thing they better unlock it for other GSM cell companies

GSM never has had good audio quality, and it's a dying standard. As cell phones move more and more to handling data as well as voice, even the GSM carriers have had to go to a variant of CDMA over the air format (W-CDMA) to handle the data rates .
Derfram
~~~~~~

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

...and half a million iPhones already sold.

Frankly I paid 800 for my phone-plus-everything-else-thingy, so the iPhone doesn't seem so expensive. For me the killer is the lack of UMTS, and of course the fact that it isn't available here.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#12 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

I love my Blackjack Phone and would never trade for something like an I-Phone

If anybody remembers back in Ipod's begining generation's when it was one of the Hotter Products there was the Hard Drive issues (Still happens today but not as many complaints)

I can't see them making product outside of their confort zones (the phone part) and succeeding in its first year without tech problems. They also had to pull a good portion of the Tech crew working on their upcoming OS to help *Fastly* finish the phone. I would recommend to those out there wanting an I-Phone to at least wait till Generation #2 to work out some of the bugs...

Although my boss has one and he thinks highly of it so ya never know!

~Jake

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

#13 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

This could come back to bite Apple in a big way.

Hehehe bite Apple. Thats almost punny. I'll bet that the makers of the Zune will replicate or better this for less money and more services.

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:38 AM

Yeah, I'm so looking forward to the Phune, it comes in brown!
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#15 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

LOL the Phune... you can't beat that. Apple really has only one advantage- they always come out with the first of a product. The follow products from other companies are always better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users