Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excessive Ram Usage?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

My PC seems to be using quite a bit of RAM it says page file is always about 500-600 mb of RAM. I just built this PC in May and it is pretty stout. E6600 chip and 2 gb of RAM. The RAM usage gets as high as 750-800 mb and it seems like I always have about 50 processes running. This seems high as I dont really do anything more than with my old computer that only had 768 mb of RAM. Sometimes the new PC says I am using 2.7 gb of RAM and then I look in task manager and nothing seems that high in the processes. I do have an excesive amount being used by HPZipm12.exe something like 110 mb. So I know that is an issue in itself. I have updated everything with stupid HP with no luck. I am running AVG anti spyware and anti virus. I also tried running spybot S&D. I also tried CCleaner. I think I tried something else, but I cant remember I will look when I get home from work.

So any ideas? I dont know much about this stuff, but I know that it seems I have to many processes running and I have to much RAM being used. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

I would certainly try killing any unneeded processes running at startup (you can refer to the tab above the BC pages "StartupList" which will indicate what is needed, optional, or should be killed). Under normal useage, 50 processes seems a bit high unless you never close a window.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:38 PM

That's pretty high number of processes running, (I have 47) oops. Depending on the things that you need to load and using, kill as much as possible if you don't need them.

#4 ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

It seems like the processes at startup are ok. I will dig more. I have process explorer and am going to try and dig more into it tonight. This damn HPZipm12.exe thing is pissing me off to no end. I think it is the root of my problems as last night it actually showed it was using 1.3 gb of RAM. I had not seen it register over 120 mb or so before.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

HPZipm12.exe seems to be part of the printer driver process. If you do not need your printer running, I don't see why you cannot turn the printer software off.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users