Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Input Devices In Winxp Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Die Oubaas

Die Oubaas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member to the forum, but need you guy's help desperately!

My PC basically consists of the following:

MoBo: ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nVidia Chipset)
CPU: Intel Pentium-D 3.4 GHz
GPU: MSI nVidia GeForce NX7950GT
RAM: 4x1GB
HDD: 2 x 320 SATA-2, 1x160 IDE, 1 x 400 IDE (all sizes GB)

Over the weekend, I made the absolute idiotic mistake of not paying particular attention when uninstalling by GPU's drivers (I wanted to install newer ones) and when Windows prompted me if I wanted to uninstall ALL nVidia drivers (including the chipset drivers), I clicked "YES" (without remembering at the time, that my chipset was also nVidia).

So, when my PC re-booted, it started to detect new hardware and came up with prompts wanting me to make certain selections (the usual New Hardware Wizard-sort-of-stuff). Only problem is, neither my keyboard nor mouse is responding to ANY input. Windows is sitting there waiting for me to make a selection in order to proceed and I am absolutely powerless to make any selections.

My normal keyboard/mouse setup is a Logitech Cordless Desktop setup (Bluetooth), but I also tried my previous Microsoft PS/2 keyboard, my previous USB mouse, even an older PS/2 mouse and a COM port Mouse. Nothing, nada! :thumbsup:

(The PS/2 Keyboard works when I boot using a WinXP installation CD and select Recovery Console. I can type normally at the command prompt).

I will absolutely break into tears if I need to re-do my XP installation to fix this mistake of mine!

Is there ANY way that I can get input devices to work for my to continue installing the new drivers? Is there perhaps a way that I can "repair" only the Win Drivers without losing the installed Programs, etc? Can Windows by told to continue installing the best drivers it deems fit without waiting for human interaction to make a selection?

I am HOPING for some good news! PLEAAAZE!

Thanks
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

Post deleted, because when I re-read your post, I realize I missed something in it and my suggestion was worthless.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 July 2007 - 06:12 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:01 AM

Using the PS2 devices you'll have to reinstall your chipset drivers - dunno how to do this in your situation, but a repair of XP might be a start: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users