Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Hard Disk Memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Skwert78

Skwert78

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

I'm running a Dell (about 3 years old) with 80 Gb of hard disk space. As of early last Monday it still had almost 18 Gb left, then suddenly as I'm working on something in Microsoft, I start getting "low disk space" messages. I look, and we are suddenly down to 412 Mb. I figure there must be some kind of virus or trojan or something eating up space so I ran scans in safe mode and out, rad ad-aware programs, did a disk clean etc, but we are still only at about 1 Gb available. Can anyone tell me what I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

Do you have system restore on? It could have made a restore point and used the drive space. AT max 12% it uses 9 gigs of a 80 gig drive.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Skwert78

Skwert78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:49 PM

How exactly do I check this? My restore points haven't been working correctly for ages. You try to make one and it never finishes, you try to restore to one and it says it can't complete the requested task, but gives no reason. This computer has major issues...but this memory thing is really bugging me.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

Hi Skwert 78. Welcome to BleepingComputer.

It sounds as though it would be a good idea to look at this link and run through the steps there which will probably clean up quite a bit. If you still have problems, carry on with the HiJackThis log and let an expert help you fix things.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

First though, it sounds as though your System Restore points are not much good to you at the moment and are probably infected, so you can clean up quite a bit by going to Start/AllPrograms/Accessories/SystemTools/DiskCleanup. Tick all the boxes showing a lot of space being used, and on the MoreOptions page you can choose to Remove all but the Most Recent Restore Points. This will not free up space as this is fixed, and will take a while but is a good idea, and cleaning the others will save some room.

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users