Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

? Could A Slave Drive & Or A Memory Stick Be Used To Increase Ram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

? Could a Slave Drive & or a Memory Stick be used to increase RAM

Hi

I'm only thinking :thumbsup:

I have 512MB Physical memory, 80G Master Drive, 80G Slave Drive plus 2 60MB Memory sticks.

I've tried searching here and the Internet, but not sure how to word :flowers: the search criteria.

? Is there any software than can look for this surplus memory or a portion of it and convert it as extra temporary Physical memory. My slave drive as over 50G free space.

As it stands out of the 512MB of physical memory depending what I running. On start up "Windows ME" plus what gets loaded on start up takes up between 302MB to 360MB this varies but the start up is the same.
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingNeo

KingNeo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

The hard drives can be used as ram by making virtual memory and the memory stiks can be used but as far as i know only in vista

#3 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

Hi KingNeo

Thanks you gave me the missing word I was looking for my search criteria :thumbsup:

virtual memory

Going to see what that turns up...
Posted Image

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

How does virtual memory on the hard drive function any different than regular memory on the hard drive????? I understand the concept, but what's the benefit?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

Alrighty, I'm going to attempt to use my *hopefully correct* knowledge of computers to benefit :thumbsup: wish me luck. Any experts: feel free to correct or improve upon me.
The hard drive's main purpose is to be the main storage unit of the computer. RAM, or memory, is a place for the computer to hold information for temporary purposes to make applications and your overall computer run more smoothly.
Virtual memory is the task of using a portion of your hard drive as memory. Though this provides benefits, the computer takes a significant amount longer to read the hard drive than the RAM cards. The same goes for memory sticks. Therefore, though increasing virtual memory and using Windows Vista ReadyBoost do help out, neither are a substitute for cold-hard RAM.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

I totally understand what we're talking about here.... it just doesn't make sense that virtual memory would make me much faster.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:30 AM

Hi

I did find this On-Line Help Computer Service and it appears that after reading and checking my settings which are at there optimum.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users