Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Games And Disabling Anti-virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

Not sure if I should have posted this here or in the forum dealing with anti-virus programs.

After downloading America's Army and playing around with it a couple of days I found out the version I had downloaded(2.6) was outdated, I then deleted the entire version. I am going to download the newer version which is 2.8, however the instructions on the site I went to says you have to disable the anti-virus due to the size of the file.

My anti-virus is Avast and my question is: Is this a good idea and if it is how do I disable Avast without uninstalling it.

Thanks!
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

">Before double-clicking the installer, you should turn off any anti-virus programs you have running...
REASON: Anti-virus programs scan *.exe files, when your anti-virus program attempts to scan a file 2.5GB in size, it will completely destroy your computer memory (Virtual mem.) and crash the computer."

I did a quick search and found that from here. I think it depends on the anti-virus software because I have AVG and I didn't have any problems. Then again, I have a lot of RAM (2 gigs) and I have AVG set to use less resources when it scans so it'll probably depend on your computer a little bit too.

If you want to disable the anti-virus software, I'm going to guess that there is an icon for it on the bottom right of the screen in the taskbar? Try right clicking on the icon there might be an option to disable/enable the software, that's what I can do with Norton on my other computer.

Edited by Wizdabest, 02 July 2007 - 03:20 PM.

#3 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

Thanks Wizdabest, it is where you said to look. I don't know how I overlooked that when iIwas searching for a way to do it. However as I don't have the RAM(I have 512 MBs) you do it might be better if I did disable it during the download. My main concern was somebody trying to get me to do something which could leave me vulnerable to a virus being downloaded with the program.
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

Since you are sure that the site is valid, there would be no harm---as long as you stay on the America's Army site---in temporarily disabling your AV for the download. As soon as it is completed, however, be sure to turn your AV back on.
This being said, I have downloaded much larger .exe files without any AV problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

The site appeared to be OK, however I opted to download from another site I felt more comfortable with and although i did disable the Avast i am not going to any other sites untill the file is finished.

The reason I asked on here is because I trust this site.

I appreciate the replies.

Posted Image

#6 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

If I may "thewall" i re-read wizdabest's post and it's saying "before you click on the exe file". This is installing not downloading yes ? So if that is the case feel free to leave your AV on whilst you download the file. Once downloaded you could always just pull the cable on the internet connection while your game installs , best way i know of to stop nasties getting at you whilst security is non-existant.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#7 thewall

thewall
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:00 PM

I see what you are saying, thanks for the info. I was downloading the game using Download Accelerator and for some reason it quit about a third of the way in.

Oh well, back to the drawing boards.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users